• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help, advice for younger cousin in Arizona

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted December 31 2022 - 10:23 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
So my little cousin visits me very year for thanksgiving, and he contacted me today because he loves all my ant colonies when he comes. So he sends me a picture of an ant he found and tells he he's going to keep it. I then look at the ant in the photo, AND OH MY GOD. This 9 year old boy just found a Acromyrmex versicolor queen. I told him to come on the forum and get advise from people who keep Acromyrmex Versicolor but his mom says he's too young to go on forums. Says the parent who have a PHONE to him. I told him to let it go but he insists in keeping it and said its name was gumball whatever the (censored) means. Anyway I need advise for this little dude to keep the queen. He should have started to keep a camponotus queen but no... straight to leafcutters. Advise? I never have ever kept these ants and want to give my cousin some info. Thanks.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 31 2022 - 10:28 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Send the photo to this thread to confirm that it is indeed Acromyrmex versicolor (not that I doubt you).

Second, there's already a great guide to A. versicolor (and other leafcutter ants as a matter of fact) just one Google search away on this very website.

https://www.formicul...afcutter-ants™/

シグナチャーです。예.

#3 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 31 2022 - 10:43 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
How come he finds a cool leafcutter ant randomly out of the blue but the most i can find is C. castaneus.

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted December 31 2022 - 11:00 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

How come he finds a cool leafcutter ant randomly out of the blue but the most i can find is C. castaneus.

Leafcutter ants are super common in Arizona. It's almost guarenteed you find a queen once during monsoon even if you aren't an antkeeper because they fly in the hundreds of thousands. Castaneus only fly in hundreds or dozens I believe.

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted December 31 2022 - 3:38 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Thanks that's all I need, cheeto's guide seems more than a enough info. Thanks.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 31 2022 - 5:32 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Leafcutter ants are super common in Arizona. It's almost guarenteed you find a queen once during monsoon even if you aren't an antkeeper because they fly in the hundreds of thousands. Castaneus only fly in hundreds or dozens I believe.
at least acromyrmex does something cool.

Edited by LowQualityAnts, December 31 2022 - 5:34 PM.

#7 Offline AntsTopia - Posted January 1 2023 - 7:01 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Never underestimate the power of Camponotus Castaneaus.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#8 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 1 2023 - 8:13 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Never underestimate the power of Camponotus Castaneaus.

Genus name is capitalized, species name is not  (y)

Also, C. castaneus tends to be locally common (I think that's the right term?) in the north.  I know plenty of northern ant keepers that drive many miles just to find a colony of C. castaneus.  Grass is always greener on the other side, heh.

• ANTdrew likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#9 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted January 2 2023 - 12:13 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Wait until nuptial flight season my friend. You live in Georgia may I remind you.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users