• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

golden gaster worker ants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline eclaires - Posted December 28 2022 - 7:15 PM

eclaires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Saw a few worker ants in my garden and thought they looked cool. Wondering if anyone could help me identify them and perhaps what their queens look like and when their queens fly? (I live in Jakarta, Indonesia so definitely tropical country)

1st species: pictures 1-6

2nd species: pictures 7-8

3rd species: pictures 9-12

Attached Images

• IMG_9614.png
  • IMG_9631.png
  • IMG_9637.png
  • IMG_9649.png
  • IMG_9650.png
  • IMG_9651.png
  • IMG_8330.png
  • IMG_8329.png
  • IMG_8321.png
  • IMG_8320.png
  • IMG_8317.png
  • IMG_8312.png

#2 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 28 2022 - 9:07 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

The first specis probably Polyrhachis dives. The second one is Oecophylla smaragdina. The third one is Odontoponera denticulata and the one in the last picture is actually a different species, it is a species of Polyrhachis. Polyrhachis and Odontoponera are semi-claustral, I have found Polyrhachis queens in June and July and sometimes in December. From my observations, Odontoponera fly in random times of the year but usually in November but you can find them year round. Oecophylla usually fly from March to July but I have found some in August and November.

• AntsCali098, eclaires and Artisan_Ants like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#3 Offline eclaires - Posted December 28 2022 - 9:35 PM

eclaires

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thank you! It's so cool how you can identify them all at once!

#4 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 28 2022 - 11:08 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Polyrhachis queen are much larger than the workers,they have lesser golden hairs on they abdomen.They fly mid april-june.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users