• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adams Messor Cephalotes Colony journey.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Adama30 - Posted July 16 2022 - 6:44 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Northampton

POPULAR

Hey Guys, 

I recently got a Messor Cephalotes queen a little while ago and she arrived with a small pile of eggs. While she has been with me she has settled down a treat. Laid more eggs until she had about 18 and wasn't long before they hatched. I was even able to see a larvae still curled up inside its egg near to hatching.

IMG-9650.jpg

The day finally arrived and her eggs began to hatch, notice the young larvae still in its egg in the below picture. 

IMG-9653.jpg

A week went by and her larvae grew. To help her Majesty I have been giving her one or too defrosted fruit fly's every few days which she has been taking and eating. 

Messor-cephalotes-1-week-larvae-2.jpg

She started to get quite a few larvae as her eggs were hatching and she was being very attentive. 

Messor-cephalotes-1-week-larvae-3.jpg

As a type this Journal entry the larvae are now two weeks old, she has unfortunately lost two which didn't seem to be taking food and within days they had shrivelled and gone brown so the queen ate them. Five large larvae remain and grow every day and her brood pile holds a collection of new eggs and newly hatched and days old larvae. 

Messor-cephalotes-2-week-larvae.jpg

Messor-cephalotes-2-week-larvae-2.jpg

Well that's the update so far, Hopefully her larvae should be turning to pupae by the end of the week. I've been told its two to three weeks for Messor Cephalotes to pupate. Three weeks will be about Friday the 22nd. Here's hoping. 

Update soon , take care all. Adam  :D

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Wegmier and 8 others like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 16 2022 - 7:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great start to the journal. I look forward to more updates.
  • FloridaAnts and Adama30 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Adama30 - Posted July 16 2022 - 8:08 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Great start to the journal. I look forward to more updates.

Thank you, I will definitely update as things happen. 

#4 Offline United-Ants - Posted July 16 2022 - 8:27 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

Hey Guys, 

I recently got a Messor Cephalotes queen a little while ago and she arrived with a small pile of eggs. While she has been with me she has settled down a treat. Laid more eggs until she had about 18 and wasn't long before they hatched. I was even able to see a larvae still curled up inside its egg near to hatching.

IMG-9650.jpg

The day finally arrived and her eggs began to hatch, notice the young larvae still in its egg in the below picture. 

IMG-9653.jpg

A week went by and her larvae grew. To help her Majesty I have been giving her one or too defrosted fruit fly's every few days which she has been taking and eating. 

She started to get quite a few larvae as her eggs were hatching and she was being very attentive. 

As a type this Journal entry the larvae are now two weeks old, she has unfortunately lost two which didn't seem to be taking food and within days they had shrivelled and gone brown so the queen ate them. Five large larvae remain and grow every day and her brood pile holds a collection of new eggs and newly hatched and days old larvae. 

Well that's the update so far, Hopefully her larvae should be turning to pupae by the end of the week. I've been told its two to three weeks for Messor Cephalotes to pupate. Three weeks will be about Friday the 22nd. Here's hoping. 

that is a huge queen   hope she dose well 

#5 Offline Adama30 - Posted July 17 2022 - 10:23 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey Guys, 

IMG-9650.jpg

IMG-9653.jpg

that is a huge queen   hope she dose well 

Thank you, I hope so too :) 

#6 Offline Adama30 - Posted July 21 2022 - 12:09 PM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey guys, So I have awesome news, I awoke this morning to find my Messor Cephalotes had her first pupae. I'm so happy to be seeing this, her other larvae hatched days apart so soon all should pupate the next few days. 

Messor-First-pupae-2.jpg

First Worker pupae among her healthy 3 week old larvae and eggs.

Messor-First-pupae-3.jpg

Really looking forward to these first workers eclosing and hoping once they have the colony thrives. 

That's the update so far. 

Have courage and Be Kind 

Adam 

• smares, ANTdrew, ZTYguy and 2 others like this

#7 Offline Noissimren - Posted August 21 2022 - 12:52 AM

Noissimren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Any updates my friend?

#8 Offline Adama30 - Posted August 29 2022 - 2:21 PM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Any updates my friend?

Hey There, yes indeed, the Queen now has workers and plenty of brood. I need to do a proper update so once i get pictures this week i will do :)

#9 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 4 2022 - 6:12 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey Guys

So its been a good few months for the Messor Cephalotes, The queen now has 11 workers, and a large pile of brood, more larvae are pupating and a batch of eggs are hatching so the colony is doing great. 

Current food is a mixture of honey water, seeds and insects, all of which are taken readily. I have noticed the colony tends to prefer protein more, they take insects readily. 

here are some photos, they are doing brilliant. 

Messor-Cephalotes-04-09-2022-1.jpg

Messor-Cephalotes-04-09-2022-2.jpg

So much brood, with a pile of large larvae, 3 new pupae and a pile of eggs that are now all hatching this colony will hopefully thrive. 

Messor-Cephalotes-04-09-2022-3.jpg

The colony have been allowed a expandable nest. The set up I use are custom ordered hightechant four way connectors which I have had custom made to each have there own small hydration ports. I then take the connectors, coat them with plaster of Paris and as it sets sprinkle sand over the top. This seems to be working very well and this colony seem to love there nest. Obviously I keep the chambers unused uncovered to allow the colony to explore them but not move to them, as the colony grows I will cover each chamber as required and add more on to the run. 

Messor-Cephalotes-04-09-2022-4.jpg

I keep my ant room in between 26-28c this seems to suit. 

That's the update so far everyone, 

Have courage and be kind. 

Adam 

Edited by Adama30, September 4 2022 - 6:14 AM.

• ANTdrew, ZTYguy, OiledOlives and 4 others like this

#10 Offline BioScorpion - Posted September 4 2022 - 12:06 PM

BioScorpion

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I greatly admire how clean you keep your ant setups. I'm a neat freak so this is pleasing to see.
  • ZTYguy and NicholasP like this

#11 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 6 2022 - 7:13 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I greatly admire how clean you keep your ant setups. I'm a neat freak so this is pleasing to see.

Thank you, I'm exactly the same so have to make sure all is in order and clean xD

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 6 2022 - 9:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That becomes basically impossible with massive colonies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#13 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 7 2022 - 11:16 PM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

That becomes basically impossible with massive colonies.

Thank you for letting me know xD

#14 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 8 2022 - 10:41 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I’ve been keeping up with this journal since day one and all I have to say is that this is journaling at its finest. Lovely colony, amazing setup, and most of all I love this species. I am so jealous we don’t have these out here in California.

• NicholasP, United-Ants and Adama30 like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 9 2022 - 5:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

those round eggs look too much like orbeez...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 9 2022 - 9:15 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I’ve been keeping up with this journal since day one and all I have to say is that this is journaling at its finest. Lovely colony, amazing setup, and most of all I love this species. I am so jealous we don’t have these out here in California.

Thank you so much, this species is becoming a pleasure to keep. I shall keep updating as things develop :) 

those round eggs look too much like orbeez...

They so do, and there nice and large xD

#17 Offline Pogomatt - Posted September 11 2022 - 2:14 PM

Pogomatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBirmingham UK
Great journal! That Hightechants nest looks great, looks like they don’t make that model anymore unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing how your colony develops - this species is on my want list along with M. arenarius
  • NicholasP and antsriondel like this
Camponotus cruentatus, fedtschenkoi, foreli, maculatus, micans, nicobarensis
Formica cinerea
Lasius flavus, niger
Manica rubida x2
Messor barbatus (bicolour), barbatus (red head), bouvieri, capitatus, minor, orientalis, wasmanni
Odontoponera transversa

#18 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 12 2022 - 2:28 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Great journal! That Hightechants nest looks great, looks like they don’t make that model anymore unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing how your colony develops - this species is on my want list along with M. arenarius

Hey there, thank you. The hightechants connectors I use are custom made as required so they don't appear on the website.  You'd have to ask specifically for them, but they do come with a higher price because of this. The lining of plaster and sand is added by myself once I receive them. 

• Pogomatt likes this

#19 Offline Adama30 - Posted September 30 2022 - 8:50 AM

Adama30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey Hey

Mixed news today, unfortunately I made a rookie mistake. I think I expanded there nests a little too fast, this properly meant a lack of humidity and lost 6 workers which started acting disorientated and weird before dying. I took the extra nest chambers away and have given them a testube for feeding in. This has water behind a cotton wall bung so at least means they have extra water to drink and keeps everything humid. For a few days now I've seen a increase in foraging activity and general wellness of workers so hopefully this resolves the issue.

As for the remaining colony all seems great, queen is laying, larvae are growing, colony is now down to 9 workers, but has at least seven pupae of varying sizes due to emerge in the next few weeks. Excitingly one of these is huge, at half the size of the queen it looks like a major or large media. I'm super excited to see her eclose.

Messor-Cephalotes-30-09-2022.jpg

Messor-Cephalotes-30-09-2022-2.jpg

Video of my colony below

https://youtube.com/shorts/PzO9T34q3bI

that's all for now

Have courage be Kind

Edited by Adama30, September 30 2022 - 8:53 AM.

#20 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 30 2022 - 9:13 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Hey Hey

Mixed news today, unfortunately I made a rookie mistake. I think I expanded there nests a little too fast, this properly meant a lack of humidity and lost 6 workers which started acting disorientated and weird before dying. I took the extra nest chambers away and have given them a testube for feeding in. This has water behind a cotton wall bung so at least means they have extra water to drink and keeps everything humid. For a few days now I've seen a increase in foraging activity and general wellness of workers so hopefully this resolves the issue.

As for the remaining colony all seems great, queen is laying, larvae are growing, colony is now down to 9 workers, but has at least seven pupae of varying sizes due to emerge in the next few weeks. Excitingly one of these is huge, at half the size of the queen it looks like a major or large media. I'm super excited to see her eclose.

Messor-Cephalotes-30-09-2022.jpg

Messor-Cephalotes-30-09-2022-2.jpg

Video of my colony below

https://youtube.com/shorts/PzO9T34q3bI

that's all for now

Have courage be Kind

The thing with Messor is food, food, and more food. They will eat any extra food you give them. So just go ham with them.

• rptraut likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users