• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Treated Water-Toxic to Ants?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted December 13 2022 - 11:48 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

There are many chemicals in treated tap water.  Things like chlorine, fluoride, and the salts from water softeners are the things I'm wondering about.  Chlorine is very evident in the air when I run a tap, especially when it is hot, and I wonder about this off gassing in a confined space like a formicarium.  Could this be a reason for a sudden colony collapse?  Chlorine is toxic to bacteria; I wonder how safe it is for our ants.  Perhaps our treated water is contaminated water to an ant.

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 13 2022 - 11:52 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
It's safe,i use treated water for almost all my ants and they are still thriving.

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted December 14 2022 - 12:09 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I use untreated well water or rainwater for my ants and I don't have any problems either.  I just wonder what would cause a colony to die off for no apparent reason.  I've never really had this happen - there's always been a reason when a colony of mine has failed, but I have read about this happening to others.  I thought I would ask the question because I've never read that any specific type of water should be used for ants.

#4 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 14 2022 - 12:24 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
So what are your suggestions i.e what kind of water do you or anyone think is best for ants.ALSO,have you used any treated water for your colony and they all died off?

#5 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 14 2022 - 4:24 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
There was a guy I think on reddit who said the he used his tap water without problems for all his insects and fish and then his city changed the water and all his stuff died.

#6 Offline rptraut - Posted December 14 2022 - 11:05 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I have read that when chlorinated water is to be used for watering plants, it should be allowed to sit for 24 hours to allow the chlorine gas to escape.  I think this would be a wise precaution if you are using the water for ants.

#7 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 14 2022 - 11:10 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
?? Ok thanks.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 14 2022 - 12:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I have read that when chlorinated water is to be used for watering plants, it should be allowed to sit for 24 hours to allow the chlorine gas to escape. I think this would be a wise precaution if you are using the water for ants.

I think that’s all that needs to be done. None of my colonies have been harmed by tap water.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users