• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 12 2022 - 4:47 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
I caught a black queen ant some months back and she laid some strange orange eggs,(about four of them)but sadly she died 2 days after.she is about 6-8mm,caught on lighting and she has thesame body structure as a camponotus queen,and that all on the info.so,i was just hoping if any one know this species.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 12 2022 - 7:37 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Normally pictures would be required for a proper ID, but the fact that she laid orange eggs makes me think it’s camponotus (for some reason camponotus eggs are orange in some species at least)

#3 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 12 2022 - 9:44 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

Normally pictures would be required for a proper ID, but the fact that she laid orange eggs makes me think it’s camponotus (for some reason camponotus eggs are orange in some species at least)

She died about 4 months ago and i didn't know about formiculture then(didn't take pictures).Do you know what species?,and i think maybe the species haven't been discovered here because they are alot of new species in africa that i think have not been recorded yet.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 12 2022 - 12:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
It is basically impossible to know the exact species without pictures. What country in Africa are you in? there’s a chance that could narrow it down.

Edited by Manitobant, December 12 2022 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted December 13 2022 - 12:36 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

No Pictures and being from Africa, if anyone got this without the pictures they better go buy a lottery ticket. 

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 13 2022 - 12:40 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Never mind,a good friend of mine was kindly enough to id it for me.he said it is camponotus cinctellus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users