• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I Discovered a New Ant Species

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 21 2022 - 4:29 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

It's been a while since I've made a new post here, but this time I've really got something that'll (hopefully) knock some socks off. I discovered a new ant species - and something rare, too. 

Now, for some background information so we can get an idea of what I found.

Solenopsis phoretica-group is a species group of inquiline Solenopsis species that use Pheidole as their hosts. Each species appears to be species-specific, meaning that they are only able to parasitize a single Pheidole species. Ignoring my record, 4 species are known from a total of 6 collections:

S. phoretica - Associated with P. dentata
Gilchrist County, Route 47, 2.5 mi. N of junction with Route 232, Florida (1 queen)

Austin, Texas (1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_phoretica

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-6c3prbS

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-FRdSVVf

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-vChwDDZ

S. enigmatica - Associated with P. antillana
Dominica (W.I.): Pont Casse, trail to Trois Pitons, 15°22.80’N, 61°20’W (2 workers, 1 queen)
Dominica: Cochrane, W Morne Macaque, Middleham Falls trail (3 workers, 1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_enigmatica

Undescribed Solenopsis sp. - Associated with P. tetra

Brackenridge Field Lab, Texas (1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/File:Solenopsis_attached_to_Pheidole_tetra,_Brackenridge_Field_Lab,_Texas,_Alex_Wild.jpg

Undescribed Solenopsis sp. - Associated with P. bilimeki
Parque Natural Rio La Silla, Monterrey, Nuevo León (1 queen)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/122509765

Of these species, S. enigmatica is by far the most notable due to the fact that they have known workers that are directly associated with queens. This means that the worker morphology of this species group is not only documented, but it also happens to be quite distinct, making identification of this group quite reliable.

Now, going into what I found:

On November 6th, 2022, I discovered a number of strange yellow-orange workers inside of a Pheidole tepicana colony. These workers were moving within the chambers of the P. tepicana nest. One worker was observed carrying a pupa. After a moment of confusion, I collected 4 of the strange workers alongside 2 supermajors, 2 majors, and 15-20 minor workers of the Pheidole tepicana. For several days these ants were kept alive, and their behaviors documented. The strange orange-ish workers strongly resembled Solenopsis with the naked eye, however no definitive identifications were made until the specimens were sufficiently imaged. No aggression was ever seen between the two species, with the only notable behavior being that the P. tepicana workers would routinely carry the Solenopsis workers, with the latter ants curling up into a pupal position for easier carrying. This behavior was imaged by a friend of mine:

IMG_4077.jpg

At this point, it was heavily suspected that these ants were in fact Solenopsis, and likely a species in the phoretica-group. To confirm this identification, specimens were taken to Arizona State University's Social Insect Research Group, where two of the four specimens were placed onto point-mounts and imaged. Here is what we found:

_S_phoretica_group_P_final-jpeg.jpg
_S_phoretica_group_D_final-jpeg.jpg
_S_phoretica_group_H_final-jpeg.jpg
_S_phoretica_group_clypeus_final-jpeg.jpg

With these images, particularly the last image with a focus on the clypeus, we were able to confirm these ants as being S. phoretica-group, as according to the description of S. enigmatica workers: "Distinguished from other Solenopsis workers by clypeal morphology: clypeus lacking carinae, in lateral view rounded and strongly declivitous." The images of my specimens clearly show a lack of carinae on the clypeus, a trait only shared by S. enigmatica (and likely the unknown workers of the other three S. phoretica-group species). Additionally, the very sparse pilosity and 10-segmented antennae are also traits that are shared by S. enigmatica.

So far, what we can confirm is:

S. phoretica-group species are currently known to be host-specific; one species of Solenopsis has not yet been discovered alongside more than one host species.
The species I have located is S. phoretica-group.
The species I have located uses a host species that has so far been unknown to the group (P. tepicana).

What we can assume is that:

Because S. phoretica-group species are assumed to be host-specific, and the species I have found is using an unknown host, it is very likely that my species has been previously undiscovered.

The next steps will, of course, be to get this species officially documented and described. I am going to be sending the images to AntWeb shortly, so that they may be hosted in their database and displayed on their website. Specimens will be kept at ASU for the time being, and I will be looking within the research group there for a collaborator to assist in the process of getting these ants DNA barcoded and possibly described.

Finally, here's a short clip of when I first discovered these ants:

• kellakk, AnthonyP163, Mettcollsuss and 4 others like this

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 21 2022 - 4:40 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Good job, just goes to show that new species are turning up all the time.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted November 21 2022 - 4:59 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
That's awesome. It was always an interest of mine to discover a new species. I've found some rare species, but that's about as far as I got.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 21 2022 - 6:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Solenopsis cheetoii
Nice work!
  • aznphenom and United-Ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted November 21 2022 - 6:30 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Well done.  Keep the post updated when you can.

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 21 2022 - 7:02 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I wouldn't say to expect any updates soon, but I'll be sure to pop back over here in case any new interesting information is found out. Namely, I'd like to figure out where this species falls on the phylogenetic tree, especially to find whether or not they're more closely related to the 'fire ants' of Solenopsis or the 'thief ants'. I have a personal suspicion that they're closer to the fire ants, but who really knows. I should be able to get DNA work done through ASU, but I have no idea when that'd be able to be done.

As for describing the species, it may not even be possible without a queen specimen, as S. phoretica was originally described from a single queen. However, with S. enigmatica having workers associated with queens, it may be possible to use that species as a basis for description. I'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

• aznphenom and KadinB like this

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted November 21 2022 - 8:23 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

It's been a while since I've made a new post here, but this time I've really got something that'll (hopefully) knock some socks off. I discovered a new ant species - and something rare, too. 

Now, for some background information so we can get an idea of what I found.

Solenopsis phoretica-group is a species group of inquiline Solenopsis species that use Pheidole as their hosts. Each species appears to be species-specific, meaning that they are only able to parasitize a single Pheidole species. Ignoring my record, 4 species are known from a total of 6 collections:

S. phoretica - Associated with P. dentata
Gilchrist County, Route 47, 2.5 mi. N of junction with Route 232, Florida (1 queen)

Austin, Texas (1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_phoretica

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-6c3prbS

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-FRdSVVf

https://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Solenopsis/i-vChwDDZ

S. enigmatica - Associated with P. antillana
Dominica (W.I.): Pont Casse, trail to Trois Pitons, 15°22.80’N, 61°20’W (2 workers, 1 queen)
Dominica: Cochrane, W Morne Macaque, Middleham Falls trail (3 workers, 1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Solenopsis_enigmatica

Undescribed Solenopsis sp. - Associated with P. tetra

Brackenridge Field Lab, Texas (1 queen)

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/File:Solenopsis_attached_to_Pheidole_tetra,_Brackenridge_Field_Lab,_Texas,_Alex_Wild.jpg

Undescribed Solenopsis sp. - Associated with P. bilimeki
Parque Natural Rio La Silla, Monterrey, Nuevo León (1 queen)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/122509765

Of these species, S. enigmatica is by far the most notable due to the fact that they have known workers that are directly associated with queens. This means that the worker morphology of this species group is not only documented, but it also happens to be quite distinct, making identification of this group quite reliable.

Now, going into what I found:

On November 6th, 2022, I discovered a number of strange yellow-orange workers inside of a Pheidole tepicana colony. These workers were moving within the chambers of the P. tepicana nest. One worker was observed carrying a pupa. After a moment of confusion, I collected 4 of the strange workers alongside 2 supermajors, 2 majors, and 15-20 minor workers of the Pheidole tepicana. For several days these ants were kept alive, and their behaviors documented. The strange orange-ish workers strongly resembled Solenopsis with the naked eye, however no definitive identifications were made until the specimens were sufficiently imaged. No aggression was ever seen between the two species, with the only notable behavior being that the P. tepicana workers would routinely carry the Solenopsis workers, with the latter ants curling up into a pupal position for easier carrying. This behavior was imaged by a friend of mine:

attachicon.gifIMG_4077.jpg

At this point, it was heavily suspected that these ants were in fact Solenopsis, and likely a species in the phoretica-group. To confirm this identification, specimens were taken to Arizona State University's Social Insect Research Group, where two of the four specimens were placed onto point-mounts and imaged. Here is what we found:

attachicon.gif_S_phoretica_group_P_final-jpeg.jpg

With these images, particularly the last image with a focus on the clypeus, we were able to confirm these ants as being S. phoretica-group, as according to the description of S. enigmatica workers: "Distinguished from other Solenopsis workers by clypeal morphology: clypeus lacking carinae, in lateral view rounded and strongly declivitous." The images of my specimens clearly show a lack of carinae on the clypeus, a trait only shared by S. enigmatica (and likely the unknown workers of the other three S. phoretica-group species). Additionally, the very sparse pilosity and 10-segmented antennae are also traits that are shared by S. enigmatica.

So far, what we can confirm is:

S. phoretica-group species are currently known to be host-specific; one species of Solenopsis has not yet been discovered alongside more than one host species.
The species I have located is S. phoretica-group.
The species I have located uses a host species that has so far been unknown to the group (P. tepicana).

What we can assume is that:

Because S. phoretica-group species are assumed to be host-specific, and the species I have found is using an unknown host, it is very likely that my species has been previously undiscovered.

The next steps will, of course, be to get this species officially documented and described. I am going to be sending the images to AntWeb shortly, so that they may be hosted in their database and displayed on their website. Specimens will be kept at ASU for the time being, and I will be looking within the research group there for a collaborator to assist in the process of getting these ants DNA barcoded and possibly described.

Finally, here's a short clip of when I first discovered these ants:

The man, the myth, the legend has found an ant species! Well done!

#8 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 22 2022 - 6:51 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
This is really one of the coolest things I have seen in a while, especially since I watched the vlog and was extremely excited during that entire part 😂

Well done!

#9 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 22 2022 - 12:02 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I would say that because of the complexity of Solenopsis groups the morphological variations may not be enough to discriminate between species, particularly in complexes. Also, host-specificity associations could be indicators of species discrimination, as you note these are "assumed" but not definitive.  I would hold out till a  nuclear DNA phylogeny is done, as we had to do with the Tapinoma helenae sp. nov. which we are  currently describing.  Though we had cumulative morphological, behavior and allochronic evidence, it was the nuclear DNA analysis that confirmed novelty.  Mitochondrial would not be sufficient, especially for a peer reviewed confirmation. I just say all this as I have had to go through much to definitively ascertain a new species that met criteria of critical examination.  Though I "knew" it must be novel, my knowing was not a proof.  Good luck though and keep us informed on this.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, November 22 2022 - 2:24 PM.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and ZTYguy like this

#10 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted November 22 2022 - 3:28 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Congratulations! I watched your anting vlog on your channel. Really cool find!

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#11 Offline FinWins - Posted November 22 2022 - 3:51 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Awesome! It goes to show that there are still things to discover in this world that aren’t 5 miles under the sea! Good job!

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#12 Offline antsriondel - Posted November 22 2022 - 6:47 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Wow, awesome find!

#13 Offline kellakk - Posted November 24 2022 - 5:23 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

This is very cool! Love the photos as well. There's lots of cryptic groups in insects that hold new species, I hope you or someone else can follow up on this with some more thorough work on the S. phoretica group!

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#14 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted November 24 2022 - 5:32 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Great find!

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#15 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 26 2022 - 10:26 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Good job!

#16 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 26 2022 - 11:18 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members