• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colony still have pupae before hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Deanmontague - Posted November 19 2022 - 7:11 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi guys

I’ve had my two colonies (lasius Niger and camponotus h.) on the windowsill instead of the heated bedside drawer now for 2 weeks or so.. I’m planning to put them in the fridge for winter which is between 5-10c - my camponotus can go in now as it’s a small colony of 7 and just some eggs and larvae but my Niger colony grew quite fast and has 50-70 workers at least and had a huge batch of pupae that I’ve waited to hatch..

It’s been 2-3 weeks and there’s still maybe 8 or so pupae left, I’m conscious they should have been hibernated 3 weeks ago… but I read pupae won’t survive hibernation - should I just wait for them to all eclose or will they eclose in the fridge?

Thanks!

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 19 2022 - 7:42 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Pupae won't survive hibernation. Ideally, you should wait until there's only 1st/2nd instar larvae to hibernate. However if it's getting late and they still have other brood, at a certain point you just have to toss them in anyway. For a 50-70w colony, losing 8 pupae isn't a big deal.

Also, a note about formatting ant names: the genus name is always capitalized and the species name is not (i.e. Lasius niger), and the genus name can be abbreviated if the genus being discussed has already been established, but the species name should not be (i.e. C. herculeanus).

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted November 19 2022 - 8:13 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Pupae won't survive hibernation. Ideally, you should wait until there's only 1st/2nd instar larvae to hibernate. However if it's getting late and they still have other brood, at a certain point you just have to toss them in anyway. For a 50-70w colony, losing 8 pupae isn't a big deal.

Also, a note about formatting ant names: the genus name is always capitalized and the species name is not (i.e. Lasius niger), and the genus name can be abbreviated if the genus being discussed has already been established, but the species name should not be (i.e. C. herculeanus).

The non-viability of pupae during hibernation with Lasius spp. as you state is this from personal observations made with Lasius spp. or just a generalization regarding overwintering of pupal stage immatures with temperate species of ants? 

#4 Offline Deanmontague - Posted November 19 2022 - 9:20 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I just spelt it like that because I was being lazy hah. I’ll give them another week and see what they’re down to - by 1st December I’ll put them in the fridge regardless then. Thanks

#5 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 19 2022 - 11:55 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

The non-viability of pupae during hibernation with Lasius spp. as you state is this from personal observations made with Lasius spp. or just a generalization regarding overwintering of pupal stage immatures with temperate species of ants?

A bit of both. All the Lasius I've kept, as well as most others I've seen, only keep small larvae when preparing for hibernation so I think it's safe to say they don't "want" to hibernate with pupae, though I haven't personally tried putting them in hibernation with pupae.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users