• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole Obscurithorax Nest Preferences

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 6 2022 - 5:30 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
Hi all! I was thinking of getting the gear needed to collect my first queen(s) in the wild on the next nuptial (I am very very new, know almost nothing so you may see me a lot here for a little bit as I learn).

I was looking at the AntsCanada beginner setup, and eventually my Pheidole will need to move (probably in a year or two) to a full sized formicarium/outworld setup.

What kind of architecture do pheidole ants have in their nests? AC only has one for Solenopsis, Tetramorium, Camponotus, Lasius and Formica. Which of these would some Pheidole Dentata or Pheidole Obscurithorax be most comfortable in? I assumed the Solenopsis since these Obscurithorax guys seem to always build near the invicta's. I only wanna use AC because they seem to be like Apple, in that everything is made to fit each other and it seems super low maintenance and easy. What is recommended there. I have also seen other good sites, such as THA and a custom builder on here (UtahAnts), their work is beautiful, however THA is a little pricey (although I hear the work is fantastic and worth it).

I apologize if this is not in the correct place to post this. Please let me know where to correctly put it in the future if this is incorrect.

Thank you all so very much for all of your research, expertise, patience and kindness.

#2 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 6 2022 - 6:18 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I forgot to ask, where is it recommended I buy fruit flies? I hear that flughtless fruit flies are accepted and loved by just about all colonies, however I don't wanna risk giving my ants any diseases or parasites. I am also thinking of trying regular sized mealworms once they get a little bigger, a trustworthy site that ships both would be so ideal. Again, thanks all!

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 7 2022 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A THA mini-hearth is the way to go for a small Pheidole colony. Plastic formicaria are not recommended because they are not absorbent, plus some species have chewed out of AC setups. The AC outworlds are absurdly priced and annoyingly opaque for observation. AC is certainly not the Apple of ant-keeping. If price is an issue, do a tub and tube setup with a DIY outworld. Joshsfrogs.com has good deals on fruit flies and mealworms.
  • mmcguffi likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 7 2022 - 11:44 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Thank you for educating me, I assume I thought maybe a little too highly of that channel.. AND i guess it kinda makes sense, I usually find out about an activity or a hobbythrough a channel that is highly popular, butthen sells mediocre products because their name allows them too. What a shame, his setups look so amazing online. Thank you again! I will look into THA, and also possibly Utah Ants. Are they still making them, and are they a good fit for pheidole obscurithorax?

#5 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 7 2022 - 11:51 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Also, are plastic test tubes also a nono? Should I go glass? Or do I not need one with a mini hearth? there's also like a 1, 2 3 or whatever. Sorry.. I'm so behind on info
  • lazyant likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 7 2022 - 12:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Glass tubes have better visibility and don’t get scratched as easily. That’s the only real difference.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline lazyant - Posted November 7 2022 - 3:04 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Agree with Drew, THA is the one of- no, THE best nest maker in the USA. With Pheidole sp. almost any well built nest should be fine. Tubs and tubes setups are also the cheapest and my go to. Though I've noticed with bad ventilation and excess food, it is a breeding ground for condensation and mold.

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#8 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 7 2022 - 3:31 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I'm looking for my first build to go well, I'm terrified of killing a poor colony due to lack of experience. I will probably shell out the extra dough and go with THA. I looked at theor website once before and it was fantastic, the stuff you can do with a formicarium. I would rather spend more and have it done right and give my little ants the best life possible.

Thanks again to everyone for your honest and very much appreciated feedback. I will probably pick up some glass tubes from Amazon. Is the THA Fluon good? I think I might just do a one stop shop there on payday.

The THA mini hearth, it replaces a test tube right? I think I read something like it has a test tube like area and they'll eventually move out once ready? I can't remember.

#9 Online bmb1bee - Posted November 7 2022 - 4:41 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

THA nests are a good choice for Pheidole. I'd also recommend Arthropod Antics nests too, those are pretty good nests to view ants in, plus not too pricey. There's a great shop on Etsy that sells cool nests too, I love their formicariums. Feel free to check out the links I attached:

https://tarheelants....-iii-formicaria

https://www.arthropo.../all-formicaria

https://www.etsy.com...g_id=1311245004

• CheetoLord02 likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#10 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 7 2022 - 5:01 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Thank you so much for the links, bmb1bee! I'm gonna start looking now :)

Are pheidole obscurithorax (and/or pheidole dentata) considered small or medium? I assume small, but THA is asking. I actually wanna look up AA cause I think I remember someone mentioning them being a great company on a YT video I watched.

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted November 7 2022 - 8:11 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

I second Josh's Frogs. I have been ordering from them for years. The feeder insects are always of quality and despite me checking I could NEVER find mites on them. Which obviously is good, but I still recommend boiling them prior to feeding. 

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#12 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 7 2022 - 9:28 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
I was looking at them earlier and they seem to be out of made cultures, is it cost effective and worth making it myself with the supplies they sell on their site?

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted November 7 2022 - 9:36 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

I was looking at them earlier and they seem to be out of made cultures, is it cost effective and worth making it myself with the supplies they sell on their site?

In my opinion, just buying the cultures is better. Like i order crickets monthly, just so I don't have to deal with them. Plus they stink.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

In my opinion, just buying the cultures is better. Like i order crickets monthly, just so I don't have to deal with them. Plus they stink.
I agree. If you have small colonies, the easiest thing is to order what you need and freeze them for later use. That said, culturing fruit flies is extremely easy and kind of fun. Mealworms are easy, too, but the bins smell awful and can fill up with trash mites easily.

#15 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 8 2022 - 4:00 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Roger that, pheidole ants have no problem eating previously frozen fruit flies? How do you boil them? I thought you just needed some of that "bug blade" stuff and sift the flies around in it then drop them in and that cleaned them of mites if they had it? Would boiling them cook them and make them less desirable?
Also, is one species of fruit fly better than the other for feeding certain species of ant?

Edited by Flu1d, November 8 2022 - 4:03 AM.

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 8 2022 - 1:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Pheidole will eat basically anything that has protein, fresh or frozen. I dip frozen fruit flies in boiling water for three seconds using a tea strainer. You could also just pour water over them through the strainer. Definitely do not expose your ants to Bug Blade. It will kill them, too.

#17 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 8 2022 - 2:43 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Roger that,ok so I will boil them for a few seconds. Does freezing them not work the same?

#18 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:09 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Its better to do both just in case.

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 8 2022 - 3:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Freezing will kill adult mites, but eggs can survive to infest your formicaria.

#20 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 8 2022 - 4:18 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
Okay, so I will DEFINITELY boil them. Which of the fruit flies for sale is the go to? Seems to be 2 main species? I was really hoping to do some live feedings, but I'm actually happier boiling them just to make sure my ants are safe!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users