• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Northwest Florida, 11/06/2022

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 6 2022 - 8:43 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Pensacola, Florida, USA
2. Date of collection: 11/06/2022
3. Habitat of collection: Back yard, covered with leaves. No mound, seems to be a sunken underground hill
4. Length (from head to gaster): Major is about half a CM, give or take a slight amount. Minors are closer to about 3ish to 4ish mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: I'm thinking like a brownish/tannish head with a darker brown or black body. Its hard to tell from a distance and my camera seems to blur it up when I zoom but this seems accurate.
6. Distinguishing characteristics:
7. Distinguishing behavior: They were active on the crushed cricket at first (locally caught myself in the same yard they live in) but noe they are kinda grooming ajd moving a little but mostly chillin. They arent nearly as explorative or aggressive as the fire ants were.I assume because there's no queen, maybe?
8. Nest description: Pictures

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Not a queen, grabbed from hill in yard to get I.d.

1106221021.jpg

1106221021a.jpg

1106221021b.jpg

1106221022a.jpg

1106221023a.jpg

1106221023f.jpg

1106221023g.jpg

1106221024a.jpg

1106221024b.jpg

1106221024d.jpg

1106221025.jpg

1106221025c.jpg

1106221025d.jpg

1106221025e.jpg

1106221026b.jpg

1106221034.jpg

#2 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 6 2022 - 9:31 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
Minors measurement is probably close to 2-3 MM, not 3-4. My bad on that

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 6 2022 - 11:10 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Pheidole obscurithorax

#4 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 6 2022 - 11:28 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
Ok cool, I just noticed the forum has a care guide for these guys! So far I have found 1 Pheidole nest in the front yard and one in the back. They look to be the same type of Pheidole so I will not request an i.d. of the ones in the front unless I notice any key differences after taking a look at them.

The thing that makes sense is they have both seemed to set their nests up not too far from the invicta ants nests that I discovered.. However the onlything that makes me wonder is, I don't know how to gauge size that well but obscurithorax majors are supposed to be like 6 mm+, I'm not 100% sure by myguess was closer to 5 MM.. But prolly closer to 6 than 4.. Iunno.

I was hoping it would be a species also found in NM, sadly the obscurithorax is not :(

Is it frowned upon to have a colony for a year or two and then release it? I don't wanna start a colony I can't keep and I'm not taking something somewhere it doesnt belong

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 14 2022 - 1:41 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Ok cool, I just noticed the forum has a care guide for these guys! So far I have found 1 Pheidole nest in the front yard and one in the back. They look to be the same type of Pheidole so I will not request an i.d. of the ones in the front unless I notice any key differences after taking a look at them.

The thing that makes sense is they have both seemed to set their nests up not too far from the invicta ants nests that I discovered.. However the onlything that makes me wonder is, I don't know how to gauge size that well but obscurithorax majors are supposed to be like 6 mm+, I'm not 100% sure by myguess was closer to 5 MM.. But prolly closer to 6 than 4.. Iunno.

I was hoping it would be a species also found in NM, sadly the obscurithorax is not :(

Is it frowned upon to have a colony for a year or two and then release it? I don't wanna start a colony I can't keep and I'm not taking something somewhere it doesnt belong

Yes. It's also illegal. You should never move ants around, especially invasive species such as Pheidole obscurithorax.

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted November 18 2022 - 12:12 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Yes. It's also illegal. You should never move ants around, especially invasive species such as Pheidole obscurithorax.
Thanks brother! Yeah, I lacked a LOT of knowledge when I first started posting for sure, fortunately the anting community is full of so many awesome, informative people who have kindly guided me quite well! I am still learning a lot, too!

Edited by Flu1d, November 18 2022 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users