• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with natural setup

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 4 2022 - 9:12 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
I have a 10 inch by 20 inch rimmed aquarium. I am having a hard time finding a good lid for the aquarium. I thought about putting a pogonomyrmex species in but I saw that they have deep nests. Does anyone know If pogonomyrmex or another species would work without the lid? Any directions on where to find diy materials for a lid would be helpful too.
  • FinWins likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 4 2022 - 12:13 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Buy a poster frame at a craft store. Cut the clear plastic to fit the top and also cut out the middle to make a rim. Glue this on with silicone and line the bottom with Fluon or baby powder.
  • T.C., TypeD and rptraut like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted November 4 2022 - 5:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Is it one of those aquariums with the black base? You can custom order a piece of plexiglass to cover the top and then put whatever holes you want in the top. Personally I won't cut a square in it because i don't like the way it looks. However it is best when considering a natural setup as ventilation will be a huge factor to avoid mold and to avoid mold you need good airflow. 

• TypeD likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 5 2022 - 6:53 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Is it one of those aquariums with the black base? You can custom order a piece of plexiglass to cover the top and then put whatever holes you want in the top. Personally I won't cut a square in it because i don't like the way it looks. However it is best when considering a natural setup as ventilation will be a huge factor to avoid mold and to avoid mold you need good airflow.

Yep its one of those. Where would i custom order one?

Edited by LowQualityAnts, November 5 2022 - 6:54 AM.

#5 Offline TypeD - Posted November 5 2022 - 8:58 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Seconding the lid-with-square-in-the-middle-style. The big hole is important for ventilation like T.C. was saying, but it's also very important for the health of the fluon. Closed containers with the kind of moisture you need to keep most plants alive will degrade fluon to the point of uselessness quite quickly.  

I do it with plastic "cardboard" from a crafts store for my setups. If you're patient and take it slooooowwly with a boxcutter or the like, it's reasonably easy to make good looking cuts, especially if you trace the rim or base on to the plastic in advance. Accented with a coat of paint, I think they look pretty good:

Viv1

• T.C. and Lazarus like this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 5 2022 - 12:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s an elegant solution!
  • TypeD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline TypeD - Posted November 5 2022 - 7:06 PM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

That’s an elegant solution!

Thanks! Luckily they do the job. No more waking up at 5 am to find 70+ carpenter ants galavanting around my room…

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted November 5 2022 - 9:29 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Yep its one of those. Where would i custom order one?

Tap Plastics
  • ANTdrew likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline Trapjawsaremyjam - Posted November 6 2022 - 10:14 AM

Trapjawsaremyjam

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

don't forget to put some bugs in there that do cleaning, such as springtails.

#10 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 8 2022 - 7:05 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Deleted

Edited by LowQualityAnts, November 8 2022 - 11:22 AM.

#11 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 10 2022 - 5:58 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
What are some substrate mixtures that might be good for a arid style terrarium. I have materials like pine straw/cones and some rocks they would make a good bush/pine desert (i do not know the actual name of the biome) style.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 11 2022 - 3:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Gather substrate from where you found the ants.

#13 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 11 2022 - 5:05 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
My soil is super clay saturated and i find it doesnt make for good looking terrariums. What would be the outcome if i mixed the soil with some sand? I would test this out myself but substrate is way too expensive.

#14 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 11 2022 - 7:40 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I mixed soil, sand and coco fibers.
It's cool at first but as you water the setup and things move around they start to separate. Sandy towards the bottom and larger pieces get to the surface over the months.

I'd just use different kinds of substrate in different areas of the setup that's what I do now. Ants love to build in sand and plants love to grow in good soil.
You can easily make a design where those are separated.
If you do decide to mix sand and soil I'd make sure the soil doesn't have a lot of bigger chunks in it they'll all come up eventually.

#15 Offline TypeD - Posted November 11 2022 - 7:44 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Just in terms of substrate quality, clay + sand would be a good mix for Pogonomyrmex (that's what I did for my Pogonomyrmex viv; like 60% sand, 30% clay, 10% soil). The sand gives great drainage and the clay keeps things structured/prevents tunnel collapses.

Visually it's hard to say, it depends on what your substrates look like. I ended up using this red sand for my substrate mix and it turned out nicely, without looking unnatural (the photo above is that vivarium; it's redder than it looks).

#16 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 11 2022 - 7:48 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I might end up not using soil from my yard. If i was to make a sandish soil setup how would 50 percent sand 30 percent clay, and 20 percent soil sound?

#17 Offline TypeD - Posted November 11 2022 - 8:04 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

I might end up not using soil from my yard. If i was to make a sandish soil setup how would 50 percent sand 30 percent clay, and 20 percent soil sound?

That would likely work just as well. The extra soil would add a bit of bioactivity, which is good for plants and small invertebrates (if you're planning on adding those too).

To mitigate what AA mentioned you can try to compact the mixture somewhat as you add it to the vivarium (moisten it and press down to make it denser). Although their idea of varying the substrate composition in certain areas is also good, as that creates a range of environments for the ants and other critters to choose from.

#18 Offline ISpeakForTheTrees - Posted November 11 2022 - 8:28 AM

ISpeakForTheTrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

The bush/pine desert biome is called Pinyon-Juniper Woodland. ANTdrew's advice to use substrate from where you found the ants is probably the best, but, as mentioned, you can do the soil mix too (you'll likely see some shifting and settling, but if you mix it well and compact it as discussed above, it shouldn't be too bad). I know different ants prefer different substrates, but the only species I know specific details for is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis because of the study linked below. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis nest soil is ~72.5% sand, 16% silt, and 11.5% clay. 

https://mountainscho...e=1&isAllowed=y

• ANTdrew likes this

#19 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted November 11 2022 - 8:52 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

The bush/pine desert biome is called Pinyon-Juniper Woodland. ANTdrew's advice to use substrate from where you found the ants is probably the best, but, as mentioned, you can do the soil mix too (you'll likely see some shifting and settling, but if you mix it well and compact it as discussed above, it shouldn't be too bad). I know different ants prefer different substrates, but the only species I know specific details for is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis because of the study linked below. Pogonomyrmex occidentalis nest soil is ~72.5% sand, 16% silt, and 11.5% clay. 

https://mountainscho...e=1&isAllowed=y

Yeah that was it. I was thinking of buying a small colony and putting it in later in its development which is one of the reasons i didn't want to use soil outside my house.

#20 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted November 11 2022 - 1:35 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

This is one that I just did a face-lift on a couple days ago.
I have a compacted sand/soil mix for the bulk of the substrate that I covered with rocks.
If you put flat rocks under ground the ants will likely make their bigger chambers under them so it's good to place them against the glass.

In the back I have a mix of soil, leaflitter and small tree bark chips as a home for the isopods and springtails.
A compressed sand/soil mix doesn't take water very well and you'll likely end up flooding chambers and the drainage a lot.
A more absorbent soil in certain areas will make maintenance a lot easier.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users