• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termitat problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Cleo - Posted October 28 2022 - 5:26 AM

Cleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have 2 termitats (one from Dec'21, one from Feb'22). Both have been constantly monitored, kept in dim light, temp never outside 22-24 degree centigrade range, watered carefully on schedule - i.e. both have received excellent care.

T1: The first arrived with 30 termites, 5 of which were soldiers. Within 2 months, all the soldiers had died and all but 5 of the others had wings, couldn't swarm, so they died. Of the remaining 5, 3 died over the next 2 months. The last 2 did well until 2 weeks ago (mid-Oct'22) when one of those died. I have one remaining who seems ok so far.

T2: The second one arrived containing about 50 termites. No soldiers, none sprouted wings, but population gradually declined until September'22. This one had no living termites after 7 months. I have continued to water it, in case there were some I couldn't see but have not seen any activity in over a month.

I'm saddened & disappointed by losing all but one of my termites. While I'll freely admit to having no prior experience with keeping termites, I still took really good care of them. I'm left wondering if this is a normal lifespan or if I could have done anything differently. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 28 2022 - 8:28 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I have 2 termitats (one from Dec'21, one from Feb'22). Both have been constantly monitored, kept in dim light, temp never outside 22-24 degree centigrade range, watered carefully on schedule - i.e. both have received excellent care.

T1: The first arrived with 30 termites, 5 of which were soldiers. Within 2 months, all the soldiers had died and all but 5 of the others had wings, couldn't swarm, so they died. Of the remaining 5, 3 died over the next 2 months. The last 2 did well until 2 weeks ago (mid-Oct'22) when one of those died. I have one remaining who seems ok so far.

T2: The second one arrived containing about 50 termites. No soldiers, none sprouted wings, but population gradually declined until September'22. This one had no living termites after 7 months. I have continued to water it, in case there were some I couldn't see but have not seen any activity in over a month.

I'm saddened & disappointed by losing all but one of my termites. While I'll freely admit to having no prior experience with keeping termites, I still took really good care of them. I'm left wondering if this is a normal lifespan or if I could have done anything differently. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Termites aren't the smartest of creatures. They can only do so much when there's only 50 or so workers. Generally, they can get a worker to molt into a secondary reproductive which is a step between a queen and worker where they can be mated with and lay eggs but not like a queen would be able to do. You might've just gotten really bad luck.

#3 Offline Cleo - Posted October 29 2022 - 3:32 AM

Cleo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I thought maybe they just weren't meant to live in such small confined spaces and/or didn't have particularly long life spans (although I did read some queens lived for many years). I did notice, contrary to the instructions that came with them, that they do NOT seem to get enough water just from damp wood! When I watered them, they came to drink BEFORE it all soaked in. They loved fresh, liquid water (bottled, not city tap)!

When one group almost ALL sprouted wings, all were brown with black wings except one who was pale tan with snow white wings. That one was beautiful! Sorry I can't figure out how to paste a picture.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 29 2022 - 4:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can attach photos, upload them to a gallery, or paste links from photo hosting sites like Imgur. You can’t just paste photos.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users