• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Consobrinus Worker Die Off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ben5impson - Posted October 20 2022 - 3:44 AM

ben5impson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
So I'm not sure what happened but in the space of like 14 days all my Camponotus Consobrinus works have disappeared/died.
Now I'm left with just the queen. Will she feed by herself and/or produce new brood or will she just waste away? I am hoping to find another nest and attempt to collect some new brood/pupae in the hope that she will survive long enough for them to care for her. but any information would be appreciated as Google is no help due to every result being about how to kill ants rather than save them

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted October 20 2022 - 6:34 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Post pictures of your setup. We may be able to tell you what went wrong. As for her producing she will continue if you give her food.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 20 2022 - 7:23 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Did you feed them fruit or something? I’ve found that camponotus in particular are very prone to pesticides and die easily from it.

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 20 2022 - 8:06 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Did you feed them fruit or something? I’ve found that camponotus in particular are very prone to pesticides and die easily from it.

They're prone to anything really. Even air freshener.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted October 20 2022 - 8:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

They're prone to anything really. Even air freshener.

Not true. As I've personally stated a hundred times, Camponotus species requires varying care. It typically isn't a matter of of what they had that killed them, but what they didn't have. Improper diet, setup, humidity, temperature, etc.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted October 21 2022 - 5:02 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Info required to give ANY sort of even remotely qualified answer:

- picture of the setup

- complete list of their diet (sugary liquids and food)

- room temperature

- are they heated yes/no?
- how is their nest kept humid?

- what does "dissappear" mean? is the escape prevention barrier effective? is there even a barrier?

That's about the absolute basics. Pinpointing it down might need further info.

Edited by Serafine, October 21 2022 - 5:04 AM.

• aznphenom likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline JCRHJM - Posted October 21 2022 - 5:02 PM

JCRHJM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

The queen should be able to feed herself provided proteins and sugars are available, but yeah more info is needed to see why the workers died, consobrinus are typically pretty hardy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users