• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is a Necropost?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted October 16 2022 - 8:25 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
What is a Necropost and how can I avoid being a Necropest?
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted October 16 2022 - 10:39 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Let me answer that with a meme. The description pretty much nails it.

p.s. If your post actually contributes to the topic/furthers the topic with new information it's not a necropost.

Edited by Serafine, October 16 2022 - 10:47 PM.

• ANTdrew, NickAnter and ZTYguy like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 17 2022 - 2:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That meme should be pinned.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 17 2022 - 3:25 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Let me answer that with a meme. The description pretty much nails it.

p.s. If your post actually contributes to the topic/furthers the topic with new information it's not a necropost.

And pretty good mama cost at that too

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 17 2022 - 4:34 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I find it really funny that in the picture it describes the creature as "moron"

#6 Offline rptraut - Posted October 17 2022 - 10:24 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thanks for the clarification.  Would it be possible to add something about this to the Rules of the Forum section as well as something explaining the problem with posting as stated by Manitobant in answer to the question "What do you think about gel nests?"  As a newcomer, it can come as quite a surprise to be reprimanded for something you didn't even know existed.  It might also be better if a moderator was the one to inform the offender so it can be done in an informative and consistent manner.  

Cut the newcomer a break.  I was guilty of what I would like to think was newbie overenthusiasm.  New concepts, new ideas, new designs often come from those who haven't read the book and don't have a preconceived idea of how things "should" work.  We can learn from their questions, maybe create a "Newbie Read This First" section.  Let's ensure that this forum is always user friendly.

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted October 17 2022 - 11:53 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

interesting neologism...

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 18 2022 - 2:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks for the clarification. Would it be possible to add something about this to the Rules of the Forum section as well as something explaining the problem with posting as stated by Manitobant in answer to the question "What do you think about gel nests?" As a newcomer, it can come as quite a surprise to be reprimanded for something you didn't even know existed. It might also be better if a moderator was the one to inform the offender so it can be done in an informative and consistent manner.

Cut the newcomer a break. I was guilty of what I would like to think was newbie overenthusiasm. New concepts, new ideas, new designs often come from those who haven't read the book and don't have a preconceived idea of how things "should" work. We can learn from their questions, maybe create a "Newbie Read This First" section. Let's ensure that this forum is always user friendly.

You have not been reprimanded by a moderator because nothing you’ve posted needed any reprimanding.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 18 2022 - 2:21 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There is nothing written in the rules regarding this because it is not against the rules. Personally I do not understand the obsession some people have about "necro posting". As long as the subject of discussion is not something that changes much over time, I would rather someone post on an old thread rather than create yet another topic on the same exact subject, leaving all of the information spread all over the place.

• Serafine, ANTdrew, OiledOlives and 1 other like this

#10 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 18 2022 - 7:57 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Yeah... sorry about that.

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 18 2022 - 12:04 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I think you guys have it wrong. What i was doing was calling out an unnecessary thread about a frequently asked question, which is completely different than necroposting. What necroposting means is replying to a years old thread (such as a thread from 2020 asking for a queen ID) that is dead and no longer has any meaningful value to the forum

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 18 2022 - 2:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Yeah... sorry about that.

don’t feel bad, its a common thing noobs do. Forums take a lot of time to learn and get used to, i was the same way when i first joined FC

#13 Offline rptraut - Posted October 18 2022 - 8:36 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I'm a 68 year old man who isn't grumpy very often.  I have never before participated in a forum, chat or any other form of internet communication other than email.  I don't own a cell phone and I don't text.  A necromancer could be a creature from another planet for all I know.  When I was a newcomer to this forum I was "reprimanded" for posting a necropost, something I didn't even know existed.  Because I had provided what I thought was useful information, I felt wrongly accused by someone who had no authority to do so, and yes, at that point I did get a little grumpy.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't it be the moderator who comments when rules aren't followed?  I was very close to abandoning this forum but I stuck with it because I wanted to learn and I also felt I had something to offer.  I didn't want to dump on Manitobant for his comments, but I wanted to use it as an example of the points I am trying to make.  

If there are rules about necroposting or multiple posting, state them plainly in the Rules of the Forum.  (By the comments above, perhaps necroposting isn't the infraction some think it is.) 

If it is the moderator's responsibility to police the forum. then let them comment when there is an infraction.  Then it can be done in an informative and consistent manner. 

#14 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 19 2022 - 7:32 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
I wasn’t trying to reprimand you, i was just trying to give advice. There is no rules about necroposting and the like, its just common forum etiquette.

Also I didn’t mean to come off as rude, sorry of you felt offended.

#15 Offline rptraut - Posted October 20 2022 - 5:41 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thank you.  As I said, I didn't want to dump on Manitobant.  His comments were just an opportunity for me to make the points that have concerned me for awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users