• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can a colony of termites start from just workers and an alate nymph?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 13 2022 - 4:05 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
Hi, a week ago while removing some wooden planters from my yard, I unearthed some termites. I caught some and but them in a container with some dirt and wood. I caught a bunch of workers, soldiers, and one alate nymph from the wood. Is this habitat and the termites I caught enough to start a colony? Is there anything i should/could do to keep the termites long term?

#2 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 16 2022 - 12:16 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Well it depends on the species,and is there any pics of them? Plus,i don't think some random termite are going to live long without king or queen.

Edited by Ant-nig321, October 16 2022 - 12:21 AM.

#3 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted October 16 2022 - 7:49 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
I'm on vacation rn but i think they are eastern subterranean termites. I saw that they could live for a few months.

#4 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 18 2022 - 1:09 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Wow,that is new information.Drywood termite could molt

Edited by Ant-nig321, October 18 2022 - 9:35 PM.

#5 Offline Bgood068 - Posted October 18 2022 - 7:58 PM

Bgood068

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFlorida
I asked this exact same question about a month ago, but didn’t really get a definitive answer. So I turned back to the internet after catching about 200ish workers, and a handful of soldiers from a dead tree at my cousins. What I have caught are drywood termites, a species native to Florida from what I have identified. What I found though is that depending on the species, workers aren’t necessarily sterile and have the ability to molt into reproductives in the event the queen and/or king dies. Not sure if this is the case for subterranean species though. Also, from what I saw online and what my pest control guy said, workers/ soldiers can live for multiple years in ideal conditions. Reproductives even longer.

#6 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 19 2022 - 9:43 AM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

If I remember correctly Reticulitermes flavipes can indeed create reproductives from some worker castes. Soldiers are terminally differentiated (can't become a reproductive), and I think maybe a different worker caste is as well? In any case, there is a lot of literature on this species so it should be pretty accessible

https://www.tandfonl...14.1999.9522833

Fig. 1 here seems to indicate this does happen, but I just glanced through this paper -- if you are interested I recommend digging through this

#7 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted October 19 2022 - 12:23 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Through what mmcguffi said,i say give them about 3-5months to molt into king and queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users