• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecocystus melliger- Do I hibernate?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antwan - Posted October 8 2022 - 9:06 PM

Antwan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I live in south-central texas, where the temperatures are currently ranging from the 60-80s range. I acquired a fresh colony of myrmecocystus melliger honeypot ants, with only a queen, 2 workers, and some brood. I was wondering if I should hibernate them this year, and if so how exactly to do so. It seems like such a young colony would die if they hibernated all winter, especially seeing as they do not currently have any repletes. Thanks in advance.

P.S., how often should I be feeding them at this stage? Thanks. Top

#2 Offline KadinB - Posted October 8 2022 - 9:10 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

They do not require diapause. Feed them daily for best growth and keep them in 80–90-degree temps.

• Antwan likes this

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 8 2022 - 10:14 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Hibernation isn't required for any species of Myrmecocystus.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline United-Ants - Posted October 8 2022 - 10:25 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
If I may ask where did you get the colony from? And m melliger do not hibernate

#5 Offline Antwan - Posted October 8 2022 - 10:46 PM

Antwan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you all!

#6 Offline Antwan - Posted October 8 2022 - 10:50 PM

Antwan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If I may ask where did you get the colony from? And m melliger do not hibernate

I got them from Antopia USA, they are liscenced by the USDA to ship queens to certain states and were very helpful and accommodating. The colony was 60 dollars plus 40 dollars for 2 day shipping.
  • KadinB likes this

#7 Offline United-Ants - Posted October 9 2022 - 8:14 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Ok thank you I was just wondering cuz I have not m melliger for sale before I have heard of m melliger but never seen them I am thinking of getting m melliger

#8 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 9 2022 - 3:06 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Ok thank you I was just wondering cuz I have not m melliger for sale before I have heard of m melliger but never seen them I am thinking of getting m melliger

Yeah, I've only seen them for sale on AntopiaUSA, which was pretty recent.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users