• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some bugs are just creepy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 7 2022 - 5:32 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Almost all inverts I come across I never find terrifying or creepy. Opiliones, spiders, beetles, flies, mites, ticks, roaches, and most crickets. They never bothered me and in fact interest me. Although there are some that look so odd and frightening that I will never keep(maybe never keep).C8047AC7-5C01-4E78-8C09-BE5486771BFB.jpeg
Long legged crickets for example. Some find it enticing but I think just gross and weird. Is there any insects that you think are creepy?

Edited by Jonathan5608, October 7 2022 - 5:34 PM.

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 7 2022 - 6:31 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Almost all inverts I come across I never find terrifying or creepy. Opiliones, spiders, beetles, flies, mites, ticks, roaches, and most crickets. They never bothered me and in fact interest me. Although there are some that look so odd and frightening that I will never keep(maybe never keep).attachicon.gifC8047AC7-5C01-4E78-8C09-BE5486771BFB.jpeg
Long legged crickets for example. Some find it enticing but I think just gross and weird. Is there any insects that you think are creepy?

You sure that's not a Jerusalem cricket?

• Jonathan5608 likes this

#3 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 7 2022 - 7:01 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Almost all inverts I come across I never find terrifying or creepy. Opiliones, spiders, beetles, flies, mites, ticks, roaches, and most crickets. They never bothered me and in fact interest me. Although there are some that look so odd and frightening that I will never keep(maybe never keep).attachicon.gifC8047AC7-5C01-4E78-8C09-BE5486771BFB.jpeg

You sure that's not a Jerusalem cricket?
I’m from New York

Edited by Jonathan5608, October 7 2022 - 7:01 PM.

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 7 2022 - 10:07 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Yeah, that's definitely a camel cricket. I've never been scared of bugs, with the exception of most flies and mosquitoes (fruit flies excluded, since I handle them very often). Flies just give me nasty vibes. Their huge red eyes, hairs all over their body, hideous buzzing sound... I can't really stand them. 

• Jonathan5608 likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2022 - 2:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The fly larvae that infested my dead dubia roach breeders is something I wish I could unsee.
  • bmb1bee and Jonathan5608 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 8 2022 - 5:13 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Yeah, that's definitely a camel cricket. I've never been scared of bugs, with the exception of most flies and mosquitoes (fruit flies excluded, since I handle them very often). Flies just give me nasty vibes. Their huge red eyes, hairs all over their body, hideous buzzing sound... I can't really stand them.

Try moth flies. You might have a change of heart

#7 Online Locness - Posted October 9 2022 - 8:36 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Dobsonfly larvae for me. Grotesque little creatures. 

#8 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 9 2022 - 9:11 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Try moth flies. You might have a change of heart

Moth and drain flies are bearable. Not good-looking, but at least they're not as bad as, say, tachinid flies.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#9 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted October 9 2022 - 9:54 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I find crickets to be creepy personally. It may have to do with their jumps, how unexpected it feels when they do jump. Something about them gives me the willies. Roaches kinda still creep me out to touch, although I would like to get over that if I ever start a dubia farm.

#10 Offline ChromiumIO - Posted October 10 2022 - 7:44 PM

ChromiumIO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I don't know why but I find fruit fly larvae really gross/creepy even though I am fine with ant larvae. I just don't like that they act almost like caterpillars. 

#11 Offline Serafine - Posted October 11 2022 - 12:36 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Those things are fairly common inside houses.

Edited by Serafine, October 11 2022 - 12:39 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#12 Offline antperson24 - Posted October 11 2022 - 6:10 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

I believe it is from the family Belostomatidae. The common name is Giant Water Bug (look them up).

IMG_0359.png

Edited by antperson24, October 11 2022 - 6:12 AM.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#13 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 11 2022 - 7:44 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Those things are fairly common inside houses.

House centipedes are also a no go for me

#14 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 11 2022 - 7:47 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

The fly larvae that infested my dead dubia roach breeders is something I wish I could unsee.

Actually recently saw that with a mealworm. Not a pretty sight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users