• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cottonwood CA (Northern CA) 10/6/22 big ol’ queen.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MaydayVFR - Posted October 6 2022 - 6:49 PM

MaydayVFR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I lost my last edit so this will be brief. These behemoths keep wandering into my shop around midnight. Our area is heavily wooded with oak trees and vast dirt nothings. I’m still seeing drones about so this leads me to believe these are still actively flying. In October. Which I thought was a bit late for flights but I’m still a novice at this. Any help appreciated.

Attached Images

• CFE6A609-8C3E-4BAB-B525-6410129E1545.png

Edited by MaydayVFR, October 10 2022 - 9:57 PM.

#2 Offline MaydayVFR - Posted October 6 2022 - 6:52 PM

MaydayVFR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Forgot photos. Fixed 🤦🏼‍♂️

Edited by MaydayVFR, October 6 2022 - 6:53 PM.

#3 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 6 2022 - 7:22 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • LocationCalif.

It should align with Camponotus semitestaceus, but it's a species complex. Nice find, it's a great complex.

• YsTheAnt, CheetoLord02, NickAnter and 2 others like this

#4 Offline MaydayVFR - Posted October 8 2022 - 9:38 PM

MaydayVFR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Wow yep. That looks like her. It also adds up with our geographical range and features. What doesn’t add up is why these girls are stumbling into the shop late at night in October. The data I’ve just read on says they fly in March? But also data on another site leads to an August or September flight. Either way, Now we’re into the realm of ants I didn’t do research on nor have even read the tiniest bit of info about. I have some homework to do haha. Thanks for the ID!!
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#5 Offline MaydayVFR - Posted October 13 2022 - 7:40 PM

MaydayVFR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I’m finding more of these queens now that I’m looking lol. Even so it was still by accident. After the sun went down I returned to a marked nest site from earlier in the day. I started to peek around and spooked them all and retreated to grab my red lens light. As I was coming back about 20ft from the entrance there were two more dealates in overdrive making a break for it to who knows where. Such activity for so late in the year. I had given up for finding more queens this time last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users