• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dead Flavus queen and existing workers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Deanmontague - Posted October 2 2022 - 12:59 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi guys

As title suggests - one of my 3 colonies (c. Herculeanus, L Niger and L flavus) the flavus queen randomly died about a week ago. I saw she wasn’t moving when stuck to the cotton wool - when I poked her she fell on her back like a stiff spider. I left her a week while I was away in case she was playing dead (lol I know) and she was still the same. I wasn’t surprised as she was doing really badly - only managed 5 workers of which 2 I accidentally drowned in honey but she never recovered or hatched more workers since.

I think it’ll be my last flavus queen I keep as it’s the third that’s died randomly now. The first two didn’t even get a worker. My niger queen which I caught in July has 20-30 workers already and my herculeanus is up to 8 but probably about to hibernate.

Question is I feel bad for these 3 remaining flavus workers, what are the chances I can introduce them (and the remaining brood) to the Niger colony and they’ll be accepted?

The alternative is to introduce them to the large colony in my garden which I can access under a solar light touching the entrance to the nest when I move it.

Are either options likely to be successful? Or do I need to kill them ethically?

#2 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 2 2022 - 2:54 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

You could probably introduce the workers and brood to another colony. I don't think a wild colony would be as good as one you have in captivity, but i don't know for sure

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#3 Offline Deanmontague - Posted October 2 2022 - 3:45 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I should have noted the wild large colony in my garden is another flavus colony so same species, and my captivity colony is lasius Niger

#4 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted October 2 2022 - 4:23 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Oh then the wild colony might just be the better option in that case

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#5 Offline Deanmontague - Posted October 3 2022 - 11:49 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Anyone have any other thoughts on this ?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2022 - 1:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My opinion may be a bit harsh, but I don’t think it’s worth bothering with at this point. I’d euthanize the workers and chalk it up to experience.
  • OiledOlives likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Triggerhippy888 - Posted October 4 2022 - 2:17 AM

Triggerhippy888

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The Lasius Niger would definitely just kill those workers the wild colony might accept them but it's a real long shot, they'd probably attack them but also your workers would probably avoid the wild colony and not even try to enter.

#8 Offline Deanmontague - Posted October 5 2022 - 3:43 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Damn that’s a shame. I feel bad for them :( I might try to introduce the workers to the flavus colony in the garden and the brood to the lasius Niger test tube…

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 5 2022 - 4:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I guess you’ve got nothing to lose.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users