• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants and nuclear war

nuclear war ant survive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted October 2 2022 - 6:45 AM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Can ants survive a nuclear war like roaches would?

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted October 2 2022 - 6:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Nobody here knows the answer to that question. 90% of people don't even begin to understand Nuclear warfare and its effects. Most individuals just acknowledge its bad. I am a nerd of science, war and history, yet I couldn't give a a answer. But I would think it's possible some could survive somewhere. However food would be a problem, and if they where somehow deep enough in the soil once they emerged they'd be screwed. I know roaches, fruitflies, and some micro organisms could survive or so they say.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted October 2 2022 - 8:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Can ants survive a nuclear war like roaches would?

Do you *really* want to know the answer to that?
  • PurdueEntomology likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline eea - Posted October 2 2022 - 11:50 AM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

There are certainly big mega mutant ants in Chernobyl.

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted October 2 2022 - 12:49 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Roaches, despite their reputation as survival artists, are actually much more susceptible to radiation than you'd expect.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline ISpeakForTheTrees - Posted October 2 2022 - 6:21 PM

ISpeakForTheTrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Based on the bombs used on Nagasaki and Hiroshima and on how much gamma radiation it takes to render a number of different ant species completely infertile*, assuming that they’re not more susceptible to being killed by neutrons, beta radiation, etc. (the numerous other unpleasant, indirect effects of nuclear bombs), and assuming that they were not killed directly or indirectly by the blast/heat of the blast itself, I would guess (guess being the keyword here) that ants would survive as long as they were approximately 0.8km or more (unsheltered) from the hypocenter (ground zero) of the bomb** (of course, the further from the hypocenter the more likely they are to survive). The fact that the ants would most likely be sheltered deep underground in their nests would probably help them survive the overpressure and heat wave of the initial blast, otherwise these would probably stand a good chance of killing them.

However, that just means that ants ~0.8km+ from the hypocenter would likely survive the initial dangers of a nuclear attack. There’s still a very real chance that the after effects - such as the nuclear fallout and potential black rain, which could essentially poison them, their food, their nest, their water, etc. - would kill them. It would really depend on how exposed they are to these after effects, and on how high the radiation levels of the fallout they would be exposed to are. If the levels are within a manageable range (i.e. if the irradiated debris came from relatively far away from the hypocenter), then they’d probably survive. If the fallout is from close to the hypocenter, however, they’d probably die.

So, it would probably depend on a bit of luck (distance from the blast, fallout, the weather, etc.), but there’s likely a decent chance ants would survive a nuclear war.

* https://academic.oup.../6/2348/2631638
** https://www.rerf.or....raditiondose_e/
  • Max_Connor likes this

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted October 3 2022 - 2:50 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Quick reminder that modern nuclear and hydrogen bombs are MUCH more powerful than the first warheads developed in WW2. The biggest of them can set trees ablaze in a radius of around 100km around the impact site. And we're not even talking stuff like MIRV warheads (basically a nuke shotgun shell) here.

Edited by Serafine, October 3 2022 - 2:50 AM.

• NickAnter likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#8 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 3 2022 - 3:06 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
I honestly don’t think anything would survive if we have a nuclear war now. Especially with the technology we have today

Edited by Jonathan5608, October 3 2022 - 3:07 AM.

#9 Offline ISpeakForTheTrees - Posted October 3 2022 - 5:12 AM

ISpeakForTheTrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Quick reminder that modern nuclear and hydrogen bombs are MUCH more powerful than the first warheads developed in WW2. The biggest of them can set trees ablaze in a radius of around 100km around the impact site. And we're not even talking stuff like MIRV warheads (basically a nuke shotgun shell) here.

I honestly don’t think anything would survive if we have a nuclear war now. Especially with the technology we have today

Yeah, I forgot to tag this sort of thing on last night. I'm not sure what the radiation levels are from modern nuclear weapons, but I'd assume pretty much everything would die if modern weapons were used (either from the ridiculously powerful blast/heat waves or from the radiation). I won't get into the nitty-gritty, but the ants would need a huge amount of luck to be sheltered enough to survive modern weapons. So, a decent chance of surviving when relatively low payload bombs are used, but if high payload bombs are used, I'd assume pretty much everything would die. 

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 3 2022 - 10:32 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

What? No there isn't. Where did you find that?

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 3 2022 - 10:34 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Based on the bombs used on Nagasaki and Hiroshima and on how much gamma radiation it takes to render a number of different ant species completely infertile*, assuming that they’re not more susceptible to being killed by neutrons, beta radiation, etc. (the numerous other unpleasant, indirect effects of nuclear bombs), and assuming that they were not killed directly or indirectly by the blast/heat of the blast itself, I would guess (guess being the keyword here) that ants would survive as long as they were approximately 0.8km or more (unsheltered) from the hypocenter (ground zero) of the bomb** (of course, the further from the hypocenter the more likely they are to survive). The fact that the ants would most likely be sheltered deep underground in their nests would probably help them survive the overpressure and heat wave of the initial blast, otherwise these would probably stand a good chance of killing them.

However, that just means that ants ~0.8km+ from the hypocenter would likely survive the initial dangers of a nuclear attack. There’s still a very real chance that the after effects - such as the nuclear fallout and potential black rain, which could essentially poison them, their food, their nest, their water, etc. - would kill them. It would really depend on how exposed they are to these after effects, and on how high the radiation levels of the fallout they would be exposed to are. If the levels are within a manageable range (i.e. if the irradiated debris came from relatively far away from the hypocenter), then they’d probably survive. If the fallout is from close to the hypocenter, however, they’d probably die.

So, it would probably depend on a bit of luck (distance from the blast, fallout, the weather, etc.), but there’s likely a decent chance ants would survive a nuclear war.

* https://academic.oup.../6/2348/2631638
** https://www.rerf.or....raditiondose_e/

Solenopsis molesta group and Labidus coecus could probably make it since they're underground ants.

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted October 3 2022 - 1:45 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
@NicholasP Most species of ants are underground? Something tells me you don't understand nuclear power. Even if the ants survived underground, when they emerged they would die. Not to mention their environment and food sources would be screwed along with their potential to mate.

#13 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted October 3 2022 - 2:02 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Everything would be screwed
  • T.C. likes this

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted October 3 2022 - 2:10 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Everything would be screwed

There would still be some life, including human survivors. However there would be very few and those that do live will have had major preparations.

#15 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted October 3 2022 - 3:24 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

well evolutionarily all the major extant subfamilies were already existent in the mid-late Cretaceous and survived the K-Pg extinction event and then began a rapid diversification during the Paleocene- Eocene-Oligocene, I would think, yes, they are survivors.  

• bmb1bee likes this

#16 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 4 2022 - 9:44 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

@NicholasP Most species of ants are underground? Something tells me you don't understand nuclear power. Even if the ants survived underground, when they emerged they would die. Not to mention their environment and food sources would be screwed along with their potential to mate.

I know that lol. I've been keeping for 3 years I think I know that. Solenopsis molesta group ants though are entirely subterranean living unlike normal ants where normal ants forage above ground. It's entirely possible for ants to evolve for colonies just to find each other and mate. Look at the frogs in Chernobyl they evolved very quickly to a black color to survive the radiation.

#17 Offline Serafine - Posted October 4 2022 - 11:20 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Considering that at the end of the cretatious period Earth was apparently hit by two megaton asteroids and most animal groups still made it through chances a nuclear war exterminates all higher life on Earth are VERY slim.

Nothing we can do to Earth can be as bad as having a few billion tons of rock impacting at several 10.000 kilometers per hour.

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 4 2022 - 3:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Also, nuclear bombs launched does not equal nuclear bombs that land. We had a lot of money put into space lasers (and many other defensive measures) for a reason. :lol:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#19 Offline StayLoki - Posted October 5 2022 - 4:47 PM

StayLoki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

What? No there isn't. Where did you find that?

I thought the same thing!! 🤣 I'm off to Google Chernobyl ants ... 🐜.. ..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuclear, war, ant, survive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users