• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do ants in the same colony fight each other?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roachant - Posted July 29 2015 - 5:05 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,
I read somewhere that ants from the same colony have fights from time to time. The problem is I can't remember where I read it. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Don

#2 Offline LC3 - Posted July 29 2015 - 5:37 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

The only thing I can remember mentioning that is on an old topic you made where Crystals said something about her Myrmica colonies.

http://www.formicult...aviour-you-saw/

Plus drew's Acromyrmex civil war... Not sure where that was posted though.

#3 Offline Roachant - Posted July 30 2015 - 4:40 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I remember she mentioning that, I didn't know about the Acromyrmex civil war. Ants are more alike to us than I thought, in terms of behaviour.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted July 30 2015 - 7:03 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Although they have brough cooperation to a high level, most social insects will fight amonst themselves.

Ants will fight amongst themselves, and the same goes for bees.

They all look like they get along, and for the most part they succeed quite well.  In bee hives they have "police" bees, and one of their main tasks is to ensure that other workers don't lay eggs.  The same goes for ants (or at least a few species that were mentioned in several studies).

There was a study done on eggs a queen laid, and eggs the workers laid, and how many survived to the worker/alate stage.  Depending on the resources available, and the number of "police ants", the results varied by quite a large margin especially for the production of male alates.

This study was covered in a free course called animal behavior through coursera.org in weeks 7 & 8, mostly in the lecture "Conflict in social insects".  It credits quite a few studies, "Conflict Resolution in Insect Societies" (Annual review of entomology Vol. 51 (2006) 581-608 by Ratnieks, L. W., K. R. & Wenseleers, T.)

Ponerine ant was specifically mentioned in Proceedings of the Royal Society B. vol. 271 pp. 1427-1434.

Several other species & studies are also listed, and if people really want, I can post them.

I have seen fighting occasionally in my colonies. I see it more often in Myrmica, and other species with 2 nodes like Leptothorax once colonies get larger.  I saw it once or twice in my Camponotus colonies, where one worker was suddenly ganged up on and killed by several other workers, or sometimes just really roughed up.

I see it quite a bit with queens of parasitic species that I boosted.  My Formica ulkei colony was the worst I ever encountered for boosted workers fighting and brood eating, I recorded most of it in their journal.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline Mdrogun - Posted July 30 2015 - 9:11 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Do colonies with sterile workers fight as much, or do they not fight at all?

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users