• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odontomachus setup ideas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 9:53 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Hello everyone today I wanted to brainstorm some ideas for an Odontomachus formicarium and see what you guys thought of them

Idea 1. Mold a top down doughnut shaped nest with a water tower on one side that can be fill externally via a tube drilled into the side. Then cover the bottom of the nest in a coco fiber sand mix and attach the nest to a small outworld also with a coco fiber substrate.

Idea 2. A Petri dish with a ultracal base and a hydration chamber filled with coco fiber/sand substrate attached to a small outworld.

Idea 3. A tubs and tubes setup use coco fiber/sand as the substrate.

Which one of these ideas do you think would work best?

NOTE: All of this ideas are for a founding queen or small colony.

Edited by FinWins, July 21 2022 - 10:37 AM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline lazyant - Posted July 21 2022 - 10:38 AM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Though the doughnut shaped nest would be the mot pleasing to the eye, it would take the longest to make. Petri dish setups are fun and most commonly used for scientific experiments (Myrmecologist approved as well) But again, take a longer time to make. Tubs n' Tubes setups are the least aesthetically pleasing.

In the end it is whatever is going to be easiest to feed and view the ants. 

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 10:43 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
I was think which would be best for the ants

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline lazyant - Posted July 21 2022 - 8:35 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

What is best for the ants? Easiest to feed and view, so probably tubs n' tubes. But the other two are easier to regulate the humidity.

Again whatever is most pleasing to you since all three are pretty good options. 

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 9:07 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

What is best for the ants? Easiest to feed and view, so probably tubs n' tubes. But the other two are easier to regulate the humidity.
Thanks

#6 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 22 2022 - 3:55 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

But any route you go they still need substrate for brood development, so the Petri dish with a little coco fiber would be neat, as that way you don’t have coco fiber spilling in the tub. Also, it would be only 2 tubes if they were 30mm tubes as Odontomachus rarely form large colonies here in the Florida. Largest I have seen was around 250 workers.
  • lazyant and FinWins like this

#7 Online Mettcollsuss - Posted July 22 2022 - 7:01 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I have mine in a homemade ultracal petri dish formicarium with a thin layer of substrate, and they've been doing great and it has really good visibility. Whichever setup you end up using for yours, they will need at least a little bit of substrate.
  • alwayslearning, lazyant, FloridaAnts and 1 other like this

#8 Offline alwayslearning - Posted September 27 2022 - 7:11 PM

alwayslearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have mine in a homemade ultracal petri dish formicarium with a thin layer of substrate, and they've been doing great and it has really good visibility. Whichever setup you end up using for yours, they will need at least a little bit of substrate.

Thanks for sharing.

What substrate are you using?
I have mine in a hydrostone formicarium but I'd love to know what's working well for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users