• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Ant keeping in NorCal.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Astro - Posted September 25 2022 - 5:26 PM

Astro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi guys, 

Joining this community to learn more about Ant Keeping! Want to get started with some Harvester Ants.

Thanks in advance for the advices!

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 26 2022 - 6:44 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi guys, 

Joining this community to learn more about Ant Keeping! Want to get started with some Harvester Ants.

you live in the right state that is for sure. Welcome!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Astro - Posted September 26 2022 - 8:49 PM

Astro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi guys, 

Thanks man! Yeah looking into some now. Shame I can't get the package from Tar Heel Ants. I love his guide and bundle with Mini Hearth. Great looking starter. 

I'm trying to find some ants similar to his P.Occidentus now. Maybe the P.Rugosus?

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted September 26 2022 - 8:52 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

More like P. californicus 

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 27 2022 - 5:01 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi guys, 

Thanks man! Yeah looking into some now. Shame I can't get the package from Tar Heel Ants. I love his guide and bundle with Mini Hearth. Great looking starter. 

I'm trying to find some ants similar to his P.Occidentus now. Maybe the P.Rugosus?

his prices though  :/

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline DevinTheAntKeeper - Posted September 27 2022 - 5:47 PM

DevinTheAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hi guys, 

his prices though  :/

Fr bro

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 7 2022 - 9:08 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Check out the general marketplace. I'm sure there are some rugosus on there  (y)

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users