• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Odontomachus brunneus Journal (Discontinued) see new Journal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted September 17 2022 - 9:58 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

A few days ago I received a tiny colony of Odontomachus brunneus. When I unboxed them they were in excellent shape with one worker, pupa and larva. As of right now not much has changed except the queen has laid a small batch of eggs. I will update with pictures soon.

Edited by FinWins, June 17 2023 - 7:49 AM.

• sL0wNsteady and United-Ants like this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 17 2022 - 10:24 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
May I ask where you acquired these. Also we’re these obtained with proper permits as this species not found in California.
  • That_one_ant_guy and bmb1bee like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted September 23 2022 - 1:39 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Their second worker eclosed a few days ago! This is definitely one of my favorite species.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline sL0wNsteady - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:21 PM

sL0wNsteady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
Wish I had odontomachus. Would be fun to watch hunt. Definitely jealous. Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:54 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

May I ask where you acquired these. Also we’re these obtained with proper permits as this species not found in California.

I believe 99% that it was illegal because It's very hard to get ants out of Florida.

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 23 2022 - 4:57 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I believe 99% that it was illegal because It's very hard to get ants out of Florida.

He might not have known that, probably got them from a seller on eBay or Etsy. Still, buying ants from any of those sites would not be advisable, as they often don't have the legal permits required to ship ants with.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#7 Offline United-Ants - Posted September 23 2022 - 5:58 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Pics

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 23 2022 - 7:05 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

No doubt in my mind it was illegal. Nobody is getting Odontomachus brunneus in California with a permit. Also blatantly posting illegal activities is against forum rules to my belief. If you are going to do it cause it is none of our business, please keep it off the forum.

• That_one_ant_guy likes this

#9 Offline FinWins - Posted September 23 2022 - 8:07 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Ok I will stop posting if you would like that.

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 23 2022 - 8:44 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Just let him post ZTYguy. I understand why you don't like it but it's his choice if he wants to share illegality. Not yours and not mine. It's up to the mods and if they're fine with it then it's ultimately up to him in the end if he wants to keep going. Plus, I don't see a rule in the rules section that says he can't post about this ant species even if it was illegal.

Edited by NicholasP, September 23 2022 - 8:45 PM.

• Somethinghmm, bmb1bee and Locness like this

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 23 2022 - 10:10 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
I’m trying to save this person from getting in trouble with anyone. I know that people do illegal ant sales regularly but posting about it is irresponsible. It also is the responsible thing to speak up to help someone.
  • That_one_ant_guy and bmb1bee like this

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 24 2022 - 4:09 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I’m trying to save this person from getting in trouble with anyone. I know that people do illegal ant sales regularly but posting about it is irresponsible. It also is the responsible thing to speak up to help someone.

I'd assume he knows about the illegality already when he first got them. Especially with how much people on this forum say to not buy ants illegally. Either way though we should stop talking about this since I think he gets the point even if he didn't know since you posted about that.

Edited by NicholasP, September 24 2022 - 4:10 PM.

• bmb1bee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users