• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mercutia's Tetramorium sp.E

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 17 2013 - 11:11 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I caught these pretty little girls July 4, 2013.

IMG_1725.jpg

PhotoAug1213413AM.jpg

They urrently are all at the 25 worker point.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 17 2013 - 8:11 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

25 workers, that's pretty good.

#3 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 18 2013 - 5:11 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Yep. The heating cable really helps boost the brood count.

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 25 2014 - 1:47 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

So out of all my Tetramorium colonies that I put into hibernation (I think it was about 3) only 2 survived and they aren't doing so well. They don't have any brood and all the workers died. I hope they'll restart okay.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 25 2014 - 3:44 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So out of all my Tetramorium colonies that I put into hibernation (I think it was about 3) only 2 survived and they aren't doing so well. They don't have any brood and all the workers died. I hope they'll restart okay.

Wow, hibernating them seems dangerous with all these stories I hear. I'm glad I don't normally have to hibernate mine.

#6 Offline Matt - Posted March 25 2014 - 4:09 PM

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrance

I've also had a Tetramorium sp, but even without hibernation, the queen's dead in january. However, I've always read that this species doesn't need any hibernation. 

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 26 2014 - 6:01 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I looked in on my Tets today. One of the queens has a sizable cluch of larvae. Where the hell did that come from?! It wasn't there yesterday.... O.O

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 26 2014 - 6:02 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Wow, hibernating them seems dangerous with all these stories I hear. I'm glad I don't normally have to hibernate mine.

Yeah, I hear a lot of stories of colonies that just die off after hibernation... I'm crossing my fingers.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted March 27 2014 - 6:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Hibernation is generally the last major challenge queens face.  I read a paper somewhere that the gene that allows them to produce the anti-freeze in their blood sometimes doesn't work right.  Odd that the workers died though.

Is it possible that they overwintered small larvae in the cotton?  A few of my species did that.

If you feed the queens every 2-3 days they may pull through.  Put some food on a small piece of tin foil for easy clean up. 

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted March 27 2014 - 7:53 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationWashington State

I've never had a problem with hibernation.

Mercutia - what temperatures did you keep them at and for how long?

#11 Offline Mercutia - Posted March 31 2014 - 12:50 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Probably around 4-10C? My fridge was set to mid temp.

#12 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted March 31 2014 - 4:19 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Hmm that's usually what I would keep mine at. As long as the queens survived you can still get them going again. Maybe try brood boosting them in case the queens need help.

#13 Offline Mercutia - Posted April 1 2014 - 7:19 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

One of the queens died. I have one tetramorium queen left and she has brood but her test tube is getting mad moldy and she refuses to move =/. Why are my ants so stubborn. No amount of light or heat can cooerce them to move.

#14 Offline Crystals - Posted April 2 2014 - 5:33 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

You can try putting a syringe in the old tube and removing as much water from the reservoir as possible.  Lack of moisture will convince them to move faster, although it still may take a week or so for the cotton to completely dry out.

My ants either seem to follow the heat (probably because the room is somewhat cool) or else they move with a few blows of air into the old chamber a few times a day.  But I will happily admit that I have no experience moving Tetramorium, so I will wait and see what works for you.  :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#15 Offline WeatherAnt - Posted April 2 2014 - 1:16 PM

WeatherAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

One of the queens died. I have one tetramorium queen left and she has brood but her test tube is getting mad moldy and she refuses to move =/. Why are my ants so stubborn. No amount of light or heat can cooerce them to move.

My Tetramorium colony would be pretty stubborn too. I used heat but that alone wasn't enough. I would wrap a pretty cold (not cold enough to kill them obviously) wet napkin over their tube. They really didn't like the cold you they moved to the heated (new) tube very quickly. You could try that.

#16 Offline Mercutia - Posted April 2 2014 - 1:41 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

I've tried that too... they don't move.

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 2 2014 - 4:01 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I tried to get some stupid Lasius queen to move once and that thing just sat there even with the tube sitting in ice water. And no, it wasn't frozen :lol: ... yet... eventually she fell over on her side so I took her out of the ice water. But even after she could move again, she still wouldn't even budge for hours.

#18 Offline Mercutia - Posted April 4 2014 - 1:21 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Some ants just don't know what's good for them.

#19 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 5 2014 - 4:18 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Ending this journal. None of the Tet colonies survived.

#20 Offline Crystals - Posted May 5 2014 - 5:58 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

That is too bad.

I often have problems moving colonies unless the cotton is 100% dried out. 

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users