• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex montanus Journal [231] (Discontinued 10-30-2020)

dspdrew journal pogonomyrmex montanus harvester ants

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 28 2015 - 4:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
7-28-2015

I dug up eleven of these queens from their founding chambers near Big Bear Lake, California on 7-26-2015. I've been wanting some of these for a long time. This unique species of Pogonomyrmex is only found in the pine forested mountains of Southern California, where there is snow on the ground most of the winter. I'm guessing these will probably even need to be hibernated.

For now, I put one of these in a small dirt box, and the rest are in test tubes. The one in the dirt box dug itself a nest pretty quick. The ones in the test tubes are still going crazy, so hopefully they will calm down soon.

med_gallery_2_460_196888.jpg

med_gallery_2_460_32923.jpg

med_gallery_2_460_266422.jpg
  • Gregory2455 and Diffeomorphismus like this

#2 Offline dermy - Posted July 28 2015 - 4:44 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Look at those menacing jaws!

• LC3 likes this

#3 Offline Alza - Posted July 28 2015 - 6:42 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

There are Pogonomyrmex in the snow...I want them :c 

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 28 2015 - 7:32 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yeah, up here is the dakotas, we have Pogonomyrmex cf. Occidentalis. We regularly get 6 months of winter/snow. They make mounds by collecting nearbypebbles and piling it into an anthill. Sometimes they will dig up very small fossils, perhaps to a small mammal, and lay them on the top.

Edited by Ants4fun, July 28 2015 - 7:33 PM.

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted July 28 2015 - 9:03 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Ant archaeologists. haha! Imagine if they dug up a fossil of an ant. o.O

• BugFinder, Canadian anter and TennesseeAnts like this

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 31 2015 - 9:25 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-31-2015

These queens are going completely crazy in their test tubes, so I moved another one into a dirt box. I found out that Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus climbs right up smooth surfaces no problem, and can even climb upside down on smooth plastic. I had a worker get out and make its way into the first dirt box I setup for the P. montanus, and it ripped her to pieces. I since replace that queen with another one.

#7 Offline LC3 - Posted July 31 2015 - 12:03 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Next thing we need is wet loving Camponotus. 

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 1 2015 - 11:08 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Good luck with this species, it seems to be a bit tougher long term than other Pogonomyrmex.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 1 2015 - 11:39 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, by the looks of things so far, I don't think it's working out too well in the short term.

#10 Offline nurbs - Posted August 1 2015 - 10:29 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

My one and only montanus finally settled after a week and dug herself a little burrow in the test tube/dirt setup.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 2 2015 - 12:30 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a worker get out and make its way into the first dirt box I setup for the P. montanus, and it ripped her to pieces. 

I have no idea why, but reading this made me so depressed... :(

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 16 2015 - 11:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-17-2015

I ended up moving three of these to dirt boxes, and the rest to small test tube foraging containers. The queens have dug nests in the test tube containers so it's a little hard to see them, but I have seen a few with a couple larvae.

In one of the dirt boxes there's now what looks like three little nanitics. :)

• UtahAnts likes this

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 24 2015 - 9:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-24-2015

The queen died in the colony with the three nanitics, so they're doomed. A few of the queens in the test tube foraging containers died too. One of the test tube containers has one little nanitic running around, but I can't spot the queen anywhere. Hopefully she's just hiding really well.

#14 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:47 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Wow these sound like bummer Pogonomyrmex! They look cool but Californicus have been difficult enough.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 2 2015 - 8:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-2-2015

The way I setup the test tube containers for these ants just does not work well. They had enough dirt to dig nests, yet they are so fragile, the slightest bump can collapse them. I also can't see anything, so I have no idea whether they're dead or alive. I finally just dumped them all out. Turns out all but two queens were dead. One has one worker and a pupae, and the other had nothing. One of the dead queens left two workers behind, so I carefully introduced them to the lone queen. I put both of these colonies into some fresh new test tube setups. I plan to put these in dirt boxes as soon as I have some ready.

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 15 2015 - 1:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-15-2015

Both queens in test tubes have died before I ever got them in dirt boxes. I'm now left with just the one remaining colony in the dirt box. All I can see in this colony is the queen and one pupae.

#17 Offline yen_saw - Posted October 16 2015 - 10:09 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

Sorry to hear  :(  Hope the lone queen do well for you.

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2015 - 5:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-30-2015

After moving to a new apartment, while unpacking my ants, I found the queen dead. One of her pupae was just starting to eclose too. I just dropped the brood and eclosing worker in with my P. magnacanthus colony.

#19 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 16 2019 - 11:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 11-16-2019

I never managed to find any of these queens this year, but luckily my friend Ken (Retroman) did what he does every year with P. tenuispinus; he managed to collect a bunch of male and female alates and bread them at home. He gave me two of the queens that he was sure are fertile. These mated some time around October 13th I think.

I didn't have much to put them in at the moment, so I put them both in large #4 Dirt Boxes.

gallery_2_460_772279.jpg

They are designed for much smaller ants, so it's a pretty small space for digging tunnels, but at the very bottom there is plenty room for chambers. They both were put in with a few of their sister workers from their original colonies.

I haven't been able to see much of what's going on in their nests, but I can say for sure one of them has a few fairly large larvae and even possibly some pupae now, so it's looking like Ken was right about them being fertile, or at least one of them.

• gcsnelling likes this

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2019 - 1:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-7-2019

One of these I don't think is fertile because I can't seem to see much of any thing in the nest. As for the other one, I can see a few little callow workers running around in the nest now. Let's hope this one does better than the previous colonies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, journal, pogonomyrmex montanus, harvester ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users