• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Musical Ant Game (FNF Mod)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 29 2022 - 6:58 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

So as some of you guys might know I love ants. Ok, all of you know that because if I didn't then I wouldn't be on this forum. But what I'm sure most of you don't know is that I do some coding. Not some super extreme coding but I do some for sure. And I'm wanting to develop an ant game and was wondering what species of ants people would want to see in an ant game. I know for certain Acromyrmex versicolor and some sort of Atta species I'll work on making sprites for (which are basically characters) but I wanted to know what other species people might want to see. This will be the most ambitious coding project I'll be taking on. And I'll hint to the fact it'll be a sort of musical game. Please post down below what species you'd like to see and thanks in advance everyone!

I'd just like to note right now that this will likely be a single person project with it likely being just me doing all the work but it's possible, I'll add one or two friends to help me out.

Edited by NicholasP, September 29 2022 - 4:54 PM.

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted August 29 2022 - 7:18 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Odontomachus, Stigmatomma, bull ants, Puesdomyrmex, Pogonomyrmex, Camponotus sansabeanus, Cephelotes, asian weaver ants, polyrackus Myrmecocystus, Pheidole, Camponotus sp., Formica sp., Solenopsis xyloni, and Novomessor and Veromessor.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 29 2022 - 7:18 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Holy cow that's a lot of species. But I'll try and make it happen.

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 29 2022 - 7:19 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have pictures of my own for quite a few of those.

#5 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 29 2022 - 8:07 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

We're still taking in suggestions guys so keep them coming! We're up to 21 species now with three extra that I added to the two I chose myself which are Solenopsis invicta, Patrearchina longicornis, and a Neivamyrmex species. I think the absolute cap for now will have to be 40 species! From there I'll probably unfortunately need to cut some out that won't make the cut since there are no records of them in the U.S.

Edited by NicholasP, August 29 2022 - 8:08 PM.

#6 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted August 30 2022 - 12:18 AM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Do they all have to be native to the US? If not, some Myrmecia would be cool!

I think a cryptic species would be interesting too. Maybe Acropyga? Acanthomyrmex? Martialis heureka?

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 30 2022 - 7:10 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Do they all have to be native to the US? If not, some Myrmecia would be cool!

I think a cryptic species would be interesting too. Maybe Acropyga? Acanthomyrmex? Martialis heureka?

At the moment it's going to have to be U.S. based as I want each continent to be packed full of nice high quality songs. But yes, I'll take some non U.S. ones too and add them in as extra songs for now.

• Leptomyrmx likes this

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 26 2022 - 8:25 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Alright. I've started working on the songs. I think it'll be a banger. I may have to end up looking for someone to code the game since there's some stuff that... I don't think I can code myself, but we'll see! And I decided to add Korobeiniki (or at least a remix of it since it's more famous version is copyrighted) since... Well, I'll let you guys wonder but one ant species that use their bodies to build stuff. You'll see in the end. I'm debating what I want to do. Release the songs before the game mod is released or release the game first and then individual videos of each song. Please let me know guys and until then... Keep loving music and ants!

Edited by NicholasP, September 26 2022 - 8:28 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 28 2022 - 10:51 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So... If I were to do 10 or 20 ant species, I would have to work on at least 30 songs... Which is a lot for one person alone. So, for now I'll just do maybe 9 or 10. To satisfy ye. I think I'll make it start with southern U.S. since a lot of the songs I'm making for the game are kinda crazy. So why not put them with crazy southern U.S. ants! At most I can see this taking a year. But if I get a lot of inspiration from the music I listen to I may be able to complete the whole thing in 2 months. Well, 2 months writing all 10 songs. Then I'm probably gonna look for an artist to do some extra code for me...

Edited by NicholasP, September 28 2022 - 10:53 AM.

#10 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 28 2022 - 10:54 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

And, you know what? I'll just say it now. The game this will be for is a Friday Night Funkin mod. So, you guys better warm up your fingers for pressing those computer keys because I'm gonna go nuts with this one. I'll give it my all. 

And to you my formiculturians who haven't played Friday Night Funkin... Play the roblox Friday Night Funkin that's called "Monday morning Misery" to learn how the mechanics work if you decided you want to play this mod i'm making. And set your arrow keys from top down in this order so it's easier for you to press they keys... "D for the left arrow key, F for the down arrow key, J for the up-arrow key, and K for the right arrow key.

Edited by NicholasP, September 28 2022 - 11:00 AM.

#11 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 29 2022 - 4:30 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have 1/2 of the first song down. I use Musescore for writing music, so I have to look for soundfonts to use and basically base melody is 1/2 way down. I'm working on percussion now and that other fancy stuff, so it doesn't sound so bland since FNF isn't really a bland game style.

#12 Offline SYUTEO - Posted September 29 2022 - 5:10 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Just wondering, are you going to add a dialogue? Also please no swearing, 9 year olds and below are watching these.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#13 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 29 2022 - 6:31 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Just wondering, are you going to add a dialogue? Also please no swearing, 9 year olds and below are watching these.

I will be adding dialogue. I also hope to add animated cutscenes to it. This may end up being instead of a one-person project to multiple people involved so we'll see how it goes. I will for sure be the only one making the songs. And to address the swearing part... I won't be adding swearing so no need to worry about that. I'm not a huge fan of all the swearing that's in quite a few of the FNF mods there are out there. It'll be 100% child friendly. Maybe just a bit of ant fighting but that's about it.

Edited by NicholasP, September 29 2022 - 6:33 PM.

• SYUTEO likes this

#14 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 5 2022 - 7:41 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Here's an update. I'm starting to work on the first bits of the regular music. The first species on the list that I'll be working on is for... well... That's the thing. I'm not sure what to start with as the beginning of the mod. It needs to be an ant species that is calmer than most for the southwest U.S. Please give ideas and i'll consider them!

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 6 2022 - 1:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I had a student last year that never did her work. She would just play FNF all the time. It drove me nuts.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline T.C. - Posted October 6 2022 - 2:39 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I had a student last year that never did her work. She would just play FNF all the time. It drove me nuts.

The Younger Generation and their poor motivations in life scare the $hit out of me. It will be our downfall. 

• ANTdrew likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#17 Offline antperson24 - Posted October 6 2022 - 5:14 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa
Tetramorium immigrans would be cool, and maybe Camponotus novaeboracensis?

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 6 2022 - 7:56 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

The Younger Generation and their poor motivations in life scare the $hit out of me. It will be our downfall. 

Uh. I can't tell if this is poking fun at me...

Novaeboracensis sounds like a good thing to start the mod off with. They're a pretty calm species.

#19 Offline antperson24 - Posted October 6 2022 - 5:17 PM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Uh. I can't tell if this is poking fun at me...

Novaeboracensis sounds like a good thing to start the mod off with. They're a pretty calm species.

Ok.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#20 Offline NicholasP - Posted October 7 2022 - 3:30 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'm sorry guys. I know I said that I'd try to keep this project as just me. But I'm considering taking in people for help with the background art. The one in particular I speak of is AZ since I don't live there anymore, it would be a lot of work for just one person, and my brain is bad at remembering. I won't go into specifics but one of the sceneries will for sure include my city that I lived in AZ for. Tucson, Arizona. I just can't really replicate that easily. I'll try to do that one myself. But another one will possibly be the Sky mountains. The number one anting spot in the U.S. in my opinion. I will keep you all updated on what goes on. Some parts will be kept hidden though.

Edited by NicholasP, October 7 2022 - 3:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users