• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Effects of seasonality on ant foraging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline kellakk - Posted October 3 2016 - 2:41 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I just found two interesting papers on how annual rhythms affect ant foraging and nutrition. The first is on PLoS One, so it should be accessible to all. The second is behind a paywall, but if you'd like to read it just PM me and I'll get it to you.

The gist of the studies is that (fire) ants regulate macronutrients (lipids, proteins, carbohydrates) differently according to season.  This is especially relevant to antkeepers, since we tend to keep them in a static environment all year aside from hibernation.  Have any of you noticed effects of season in your colonies?

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 3 2016 - 2:53 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It does make sense diet changes during the season. Like Argentine ants, sugar based ant baits work better in the Fall/Winter/early Spring. Where as, protein based ant baits work better in late Spring/Summer.

And Pogonomyrmex would have to change their diet as well. In the Winter, they wouldn't have nearly as many seeds to collect in the Spring and Summer months. Some do hibernate, but out by Palm Springs, they are active 24/7 year round. So, their diet must change to counter the lack of seeds available. Granted, Pogonomyrmex DO stockpile food, so they might have huge stockpiles throughout Winter for seeds.

But in any case, it also may partly come (at least in the wild) what is readily available in that season. So, the ants have to change accordingly to what they can get.

#3 Offline Salmon - Posted October 3 2016 - 4:50 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

One thing I've noticed about my friendly neighborhood Pheidole pilifera colonies is that in the summer, they only leave the nest in the evening or when it's overcast, and they act very slow, shy and timid. Now that it's fall, they're most active in full sunshine and many are visible outside the nest at any given time, scrambling around carrying large numbers of seeds. They seem to have very little interest in insects compared to earlier in the year. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users