• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about sugar water

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 18 2022 - 10:00 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, does a mixture of water and sugar act as both a water source and sugar source? Or do I need two byformica feeders one with water and one with sugar water?

Currently all my ants are in test tubes so it’s not an issue as there’s a water source but I’ve just bought a myrmeco nest from AntsHQ here in the UK and I’ll need a more permanent water source and wondered if sugar water is enough (there’s a hydration mesh tank at the bottom but I think that’s mostly for humidity and not drinking)

Thanks in advance !
  • FinWins likes this

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted August 18 2022 - 11:44 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

You need to have two separate sources for water and sugar.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted August 18 2022 - 3:06 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Hi, does a mixture of water and sugar act as both a water source and sugar source?

No.

There should be an easy access to water at all times, however you do not need to use a special feeder for it.

Sugary liquids are always an issue as ants will often cover them up, also in feeders with more contact to air (like most bird feeders) sugar water gets bad really fast, so special feeders are a good idea.
Water however has none of these issues and also needs to be replaced very rarely so you can just use a small bird feeder.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 18 2022 - 4:07 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
What would you recommend alongside a sugar water byformica feeder then for water? Not sure what you mean by bird feeder. I don’t really want to have test tubes in the nest. The best I bought does have a water chamber and they may be able to drink off that. It’s this one:

https://www.antshq.c...yrmeco-ant-nest

#5 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 19 2022 - 2:55 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Also, another question… my lasius Niger workers came about a week or so ago - there’s 7 nanitics, they’ve had plenty of food, honey and jelly, but they’re still trying to burrow out of the cotton at the entrance of the test tube - I assume this is just the nature of lasius Niger… should I give them a small outworld or would they be better in somewhere they can dig ?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 19 2022 - 3:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Get two byFormica feeders: one for sugars, one for water. Give the ants an escape proof outworld. Put the tube in there with a small opening, so they can forage.

Edited by ANTdrew, August 19 2022 - 3:16 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted August 19 2022 - 3:17 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Also, another question… my lasius Niger workers came about a week or so ago - there’s 7 nanitics, they’ve had plenty of food, honey and jelly, but they’re still trying to burrow out of the cotton at the entrance of the test tube - I assume this is just the nature of lasius Niger… should I give them a small outworld or would they be better in somewhere they can dig ?

I don’t keep Lasius but I have heard that they like to just try to borrow through cotton because their instinct tells them to. Some of my Camponotus will occasionally do that.

Edited by FinWins, August 19 2022 - 3:20 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#8 Offline FinWins - Posted August 19 2022 - 3:19 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Get two byFormica feeders: one for sugars, one for water. Give the ants an escape proof outworld. Put the tube in there with a small opening, so they can forage.

I agree with Antdrew, if you don’t want test tubes then 2x byformica feeders are the way to go.

#9 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:25 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay guys thanks. I think I’ll move my lasius Niger colony into a small tub to act as an outworld until I find them a suitable nest.

For lasius Niger are they fine without sand/soil nests? It won’t stress them out? I can’t find any good ones online (I’m not that handy to make my own) and I think sand/soil could get messy.. I was thinking one of these:

https://www.theantla...r-beginner-nest

https://www.antboyuk...-essentials-kit

Second one may be better for expansion but prefer the look of the first..

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:42 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

What would you recommend alongside a sugar water byformica feeder then for water? Not sure what you mean by bird feeder. I don’t really want to have test tubes in the nest. The best I bought does have a water chamber and they may be able to drink off that. It’s this one:

https://www.antshq.c...yrmeco-ant-nest

If you have a spare one you can just use a byformica feeder, they're fine for water (i assume you have a spare one as they are usually sold in packs of 2 or more).

Bird feeders are these things. They come in hundreds of different forms and sizes, right now though they're probably all too big for your setup. Once you have a bigger outworld you can add one of them, they also provide some base level humidity.

Okay guys thanks. I think I’ll move my lasius Niger colony into a small tub to act as an outworld until I find them a suitable nest.

For lasius Niger are they fine without sand/soil nests? It won’t stress them out? I can’t find any good ones online (I’m not that handy to make my own) and I think sand/soil could get messy.. I was thinking one of these:

https://www.theantla...r-beginner-nest

https://www.antboyuk...-essentials-kit

Second one may be better for expansion but prefer the look of the first..

You should at least add a small pile of fine sand to the outworld, so the workers can carry it into the nest and assists the larvae in spinning their cocoons.

As you have Lasius niger your nest should be of good quality and very secure. Lasius niger are notorious escape artists, especially as their colonies grow larger.

Edited by Serafine, August 20 2022 - 4:44 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#11 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 20 2022 - 6:28 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you!

I think I’ll go for one of the two I linked, maybe the first as I like the connected outworld - I didn’t think about some fine sand - can you use any or does it have to be specific? I like the look of the tall thin sand glass nests but I think it’ll be a pain to move them if I ever need to - I’ve moved their test tube into a tub for now like my camponotus in the other thread, they haven’t moved too far outside yet - I’ve lined the top with fluon but god it’s messy to apply without constant drip - only applied a thin layer all the way around too.

#12 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 21 2022 - 4:27 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Would gravel work instead of fine sand? I have some left over from the terrariums I built - it’s fine gravel (not as fine as sand)

https://photos.app.g...V3Uicn9CLuZB436

#13 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 23 2022 - 4:16 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Bump :o

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2022 - 4:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Gravel is harder to clean. Use a THIN layer of dry sand.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#15 Offline Serafine - Posted August 23 2022 - 6:07 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Would gravel work instead of fine sand? I have some left over from the terrariums I built - it’s fine gravel (not as fine as sand)

https://photos.app.g...V3Uicn9CLuZB436

In principle yes. The problem is tiny pieces of trash will fall into the gaps and over time your entire formicarium substrate will turn into a gravel-garbage mix.

Gravel is also really bad at soaking up liquids which is the main reason you want substrate in the first place (because rotting liquids smell quite unpleasant).

Edited by Serafine, August 23 2022 - 6:08 PM.

#16 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 24 2022 - 11:37 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Okay I’ll get sand, thanks!

Another question, is it normal for camponotus colonies to destroy or eat pupae?

I’ve got 3-3 pupae and 4-5 big larvae close to pupa stage and they destroyed one of the pupae today - at least I can only assume they did I didn’t see it happen I just came back and it looked like mash… is this normal behaviour ?

#17 Offline Serafine - Posted August 24 2022 - 11:55 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Camponotus in particular like to eat their brood when they get disturbed too much (this only applies to small colonies).

#18 Offline Deanmontague - Posted August 26 2022 - 11:50 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey Serafine - it’s still Summer here in the UK so probably got another month or 2 of warm weather left - planning to hibernate my colonies at the end of October - my camponotus have 3 workers, how many do you think I need before I move them into a mini hearth style nest? I’d prefer to do it before I hibernate them as it’ll be easier to hibernate them I think. I have 3 workers and 2 pupae and 3-5 big larvae

#19 Offline Serafine - Posted August 26 2022 - 1:21 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I'd wait until the tube is pretty full. For my Camponotus that would have probably been ~150 workers as they were in a huge 200x30mm tube but one day the water ran so low that it started to leak and instead of moving into the fresh tube i placed next to theirs they decided to go for the nest. They were at around 80-90 workers at that time.

I honestly don't think you'll need a nest before around late next summer, possibly not even next year.

Hibernation in a tube is actually a lot easier - you plug the tube with some cotton and you're good. No need to bother with hydration as the tube provides it on a permanent basis.

Edited by Serafine, August 27 2022 - 5:31 AM.

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2022 - 3:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dean, don’t overthink things too much. Ants dominate planet earth for a reason; they are tough, resourceful survivors. You happen to have one of the toughest species of ants as well. Read the guides, follow best practices, and use common sense. Just don’t worry so much.
  • Rob912 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users