• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Acromyrmex versicolor Journal (Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted August 21 2022 - 3:57 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Here it is!!! My Acromyrmex Journal!

On August 17th I picked these up from Vick09usmc who is a local seller in my area. I bought two queens and he was going to give me a free one, however he accidentally dropped the test tube and it broke. Somehow the queen got away, I don’t know how because it black asphalt so she should have been easy to spot however we never found her. That aside he’s going to send me some more in with the honeypots I bought. 

Once I got home I gave them some roman lettuce as I didn’t have any rose petals. They quickly took to them a used them in their fungus gardens. I also gave them the fungus and brood from the lost queen which they accepted and integrated into their own fungus. 
On the 19th I received the rose petals from Amazon I ordered and offered them to the queens. While I didn’t see an immediate reaction, when I check up on them later I noticed that they had both cut up the petals and added some to their gardens.

As of today not much has changed both queens are doing well and so is their fungus.

Here is a picture from today. Sorry for the bad quality.

image.jpg

Edited by FinWins, March 3 2023 - 7:11 PM.

• Vick09usmc and futurebird like this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 21 2022 - 4:06 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Awesome. Victor is a great vendor so as long as you give them the right parameters, those queens will do amazing.
  • FinWins likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted August 22 2022 - 3:08 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So far their fungus has only gotten bigger since I got them. So I as long as I don’t screw up it should be smooth sailing 

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 22 2022 - 3:14 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

So far their fungus has only gotten bigger since I got them. So I as long as I don’t screw up it should be smooth sailing 

Famous last words

• FinWins likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted August 22 2022 - 3:33 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Famous last words

Lol ;)

#6 Offline FinWins - Posted August 23 2022 - 2:47 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I received another versicolor queen from Victor today and she is doing great. Will update with pictures soon.

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 1:40 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Update: all the queens are thriving and healthy, two of the queens’ fungus gardens have at lest doubled in size since I received them and the newest queen’s garden is also getting bigger. These might be one of the most entertaining ants I’ve kept yet! 
image.jpg

#8 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 29 2022 - 7:51 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Update: all the queens are thriving and healthy, two of the queens’ fungus gardens have at lest doubled in size since I received them and the newest queen’s garden is also getting bigger. These might be one of the most entertaining ants I’ve kept yet! 

You say they are entertaining now. Just wait. You’ll have to wait a while but once they hit the thousands, then you have entertaining.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#9 Offline FinWins - Posted August 29 2022 - 7:53 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

You say they are entertaining now. Just wait. You’ll have to wait a while but once they hit the thousands, then you have entertaining.

Yeah I can’t wait! :lol:

• ZTYguy likes this

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted August 30 2022 - 7:49 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

One of the queen’s fungus garden is now three times the size of the queen herself. And the other two queen gardens are steadily increasing in size.

• Vick09usmc likes this

#11 Offline Vick09usmc - Posted August 30 2022 - 8:17 PM

Vick09usmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
I love the shout out, but more than that, I love that they are doing well. Very soon here they'll need their own outworlds for sure. Mainly to avoid them dirtying the inside of the tubes. Again, great job!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
  • FinWins likes this

#12 Offline FinWins - Posted August 30 2022 - 8:53 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I love the shout out, but more than that, I love that they are doing well. Very soon here they'll need their own outworlds for sure. Mainly to avoid them dirtying the inside of the tubes. Again, great job!

Thanks, I’m thinking of doing the tray and cup method for these, do you think that would work?

#13 Offline aznphenom - Posted August 31 2022 - 4:09 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

what are you giving them?. I never knew about lettuce. I will try that asap

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#14 Offline FinWins - Posted August 31 2022 - 6:44 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So when I first brought them home I didn’t have any rose petals so I just put an inch long piece of romaine lettuce in each tube. Now I’m giving them rose petals that I ordered off Amazon.

#15 Offline Vick09usmc - Posted August 31 2022 - 6:47 AM

Vick09usmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Thanks, I’m thinking of doing the tray and cup method for these, do you think that would work?
I recommend it after their fungus is about raisin size.

• FinWins likes this

#16 Offline aznphenom - Posted August 31 2022 - 7:01 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

So when I first brought them home I didn’t have any rose petals so I just put an inch long piece of romaine lettuce in each tube. Now I’m giving them rose petals that I ordered off Amazon.

I've asked local social media and coworkers for dry flowers. I just received some today. Hopefully they take something.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#17 Offline FinWins - Posted September 9 2022 - 5:34 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

As of right now nothing major has happened. The queen’s fungus gardens are getting bigger though!

image.jpg

• bmb1bee likes this

#18 Offline FinWins - Posted October 9 2022 - 8:11 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Been a month since I’ve updated and two of the queens have workers!

#19 Offline FinWins - Posted October 26 2022 - 3:16 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So I know that some of you are going to kill me for letting their fungus get to this size in the test tube but honestly I haven’t had the time to make a new set up for them yet. On another note the colonies are getting a LOT more workers and the fungus in one is about quarter sized now!

image.jpg

#20 Offline FinWins - Posted October 26 2022 - 3:20 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Also something that I’ve noticed them doing is cutting the sponge in their test tube up and attaching it to the fungus garden. Why would they do that? They’ve had plenty of rose petals the whole time and the queen was doing it before the workers arrived, and all three colonies are doing it!!!

Wouldn’t they know that it is organic in nature?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users