• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Camponotus modoc journal (Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted August 3 2022 - 11:41 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

On July 29th I received a colony of C. modoc from jeffpbalderson along with some other species. When I first opened up the box I was shocked at how many workers they had, I think the worker count was about 18. When I connected their test tube to a fresh one they move in within half an hour with the queen leading the charge. After that I fed them and they were ravenous, they absolutely swarmed the honey and chopped roach I gave them. That is why I love this species so much it is awesome to watch them feed and they are also HUGE even the first gen is big by Camponotus standards for nanitics.

Edited by FinWins, June 16 2023 - 5:27 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted August 3 2022 - 4:08 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Yesterday I moved them into an AC test tube portal with a chopped roach inside and a honey water test tube connected. I set the test tube near a heat cable with the portal farther away, when I came back later a noticed that they had all moved into the connector piece away from the heat. So I then today I moved it around so that the portal is nearer the heat cable and the test tube was on the colder. After that they seemed much happier and moved back into the test tube.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted August 20 2022 - 4:07 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Update time, yesterday I flipped on the light above their portal and discovered that the honey water test tube was FULL of mold, curtesy of them putting all their trash on the cotton. I changed out the tube for a fresh one and them seemed to like it better as a worker immediately ran up to it a started drinking.

The good news is that the queen laid a fresh batch of eggs a week or two ago that have now developed into larva. Also on a good note not a single worker has died since I got them which is a first for me.

Edited by FinWins, August 21 2022 - 10:28 AM.

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted September 3 2022 - 5:38 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The colony decided to move into the sugar water test tube and I can’t get them out what should I do I’ve try light and heat and even tapping the side of the glass. Their eggs have turned into larva so that’s good I want to move them into a new gypsum nest I’m making to give them an upgrade.

image.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality pic.

• Karma likes this

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted September 9 2022 - 5:31 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I got them moved into one of my new nests!

image.jpg

• UtahAnts and AntsCali098 like this

#6 Offline FinWins - Posted October 14 2022 - 9:24 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The reason I haven’t updated on these guys is that they have gone in to a state of simi hibernation  

#7 Offline Tanks - Posted October 17 2022 - 8:28 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California
How many workers are they at now?

#8 Offline FinWins - Posted October 17 2022 - 7:11 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The same number they had the last time I updated because they went into simi hibernation and the larva isn’t growing. But I will be moving them into a different nest so maybe that will get the larva growing again 

#9 Offline FinWins - Posted January 17 2023 - 9:21 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

So, because these ants are from the northern part of the state, they have been in hibernation for the 3 months but they are finally starting to wake up.

Also I moved them to a new nest.

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted March 3 2023 - 7:42 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Ok I brought them out of hibernation by taking off the dark lid over their nest and feeding them some honey and a chopped dubia roach. It seemed to have awaked them and they are much more active now, sending workers out into the outworld to forage.

#11 Offline FinWins - Posted June 16 2023 - 5:27 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

This colony sadly did not recover from hibernation and died

#12 Offline FinWins - Posted June 16 2023 - 5:30 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I don't know what it is about camponotus but I struggle to keep them alive meanwhile my myrmecocystus, and odontomachus thrive??? Does anyone else have this problem with camponotus?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users