• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Slow Development

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ottercl - Posted August 16 2022 - 5:31 PM

Ottercl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationPlymouth County, Massachusetts
Hey,
I have a Camponotus Novaeboracensis colony in their 3rd year, but they only have around 15 workers and 1 larvae. Last year, the queen stopped producing eggs and the larvae stopped growing around mid-summer and I fear that’s happening again this year.
My C. Pennsylvanicus which is a year younger has nearly twice the workers they do and plenty of brood, they are in the same conditions and same type of nest.
Does anyone know why the colony is growing so slowly and stopping development in the middle of the summer?
Thanks!
Ants for sale in MA: https://www.formicul...-massachusetts/

Keeper of:
-Camponotus pennsylvanicus
-Camponotus chromaiodes
-Camponotus castaneus
-Camponotus americanus
Journal: https://www.formicul...onotus-journal/

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 16 2022 - 5:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
There is a good chance they are wanting to hibernate, especially if you took them out early in the year.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted August 16 2022 - 6:49 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Do you heat them?

Not sure how novae works but some Camponotus (for example herculeanus and ligniperda) basically have a 1-year plan and if that's done they will go into stand-by mode. I've seen people who managed to send their C. ligniperda into pre-hibernation as early as the start of June by feeding them well and providing constant heat.

You can also try to feed them different foods to encourage them to lay (might be too late for this year though) - for my Camponotus (barbaricus) bee larvae, wild spiders and waxworms work exceptionally well.

Edited by Serafine, August 16 2022 - 6:51 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users