• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Messor wasmanni diapause

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kristijan - Posted August 15 2022 - 11:27 AM

Kristijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

Hi! I was wondering how long I should diapause my Messor wasmanni colony and at what temperature, also I read somewhere that Messors don't always need diapause, is that true?

The area of origin is Split

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 15 2022 - 12:24 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If you don't know because your ant species covers such a wide area and the seller didn't tell you where it's from the best thing you can do is to watch your ants.

When they are ready for hibernation your ants' food intake will go down (especially the protein intake, sugar not that much), the ants will be less active (maybe even a bit sluggish) and there will be a distinct lack of pupae in the nest(s).

Some colonies from mediterranean regions (like for example Messor barbarus or Camponotus barbaricus) may also just skip their regular hibernation dates and start at a later date. If you keep them at a constant temperature (aka don't put them somewhere cold) there's a good chance they will start a sort-of-hibernation at random times and those periods of stagnation (no or only very few pupae) may take longer than usual, sometimes more than year, before they switch back into active mode.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Kristijan - Posted August 16 2022 - 6:45 AM

Kristijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

Yes thank you, I also have Camponotus barbaricus so this is useful for that as well, as I said the area of origin is Split meaning I know where they're from

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users