• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

That_one_ant_guys myrmecocystus placodops journal 2.0

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 14 2022 - 6:36 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I found a couple of these queens on July 31st but only have one now. There's nothing much to say other than she has eggs, and I'll check up on them once a week and do an update then.post-5744-0-85794300-1659546053.jpg post-5744-0-96279300-1659546061.jpg

This will be the knew version of my journal I don't want any of the old drama on this shop so don't bring it up, all it'll do is escalate from there

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, August 15 2022 - 5:51 AM.

• Wegmier and ZTYguy like this

#2 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 15 2022 - 5:51 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Checked up on her yesterday and gave her some nector. She had a pile of about six Eggies, I feel like doing operation no checkups... yea I'll check back up on her in about a month, sorry no pics this time.
  • AntsTopia likes this

#3 Offline Guest__007292_* - Posted August 15 2022 - 7:18 AM

Guest__007292_*
  • Guests

You sold yet another user a dead queen and this time no refund was given. He posted pics of his "colony" he recieved from you and the queen died shortly there after. So you make a new post and claim all that to be "old drama"?? 

The queens you sell that are in such poor conditions they arrive dead or die shortly after arrival. Try not selling dead queens. If it was just one guy that is one thing. But 4 people in the community have reported DEAD queens from you. You only want to hide the truth so you can continue to sell crap colonies for a quick buck. 

Karma always comes back around though   :D

Edited by CentralCaliAnts, August 15 2022 - 7:19 AM.

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted August 15 2022 - 10:21 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

AntsTopia, it is clear that the original person who had an issue is creating alt accounts, but Tyr_Ants is a legit account who is someone else. 

• Tyr_Ants, KadinB and AntsTopia like this

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 15 2022 - 10:31 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Lol.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 15 2022 - 3:49 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
westhollywoodant is AntUSA and AntUSA is CentralCaliAnts.
  • lazyant likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 15 2022 - 4:38 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Yes and now let’s move on, anyways I’m thoroughly excited to see if your queens get to workers. They seem to have a pretty good turnout as long as you give them what they need. In all of the myrmecocystus queens I have caught this season none have died so far. 

• That_one_ant_guy likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#8 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 15 2022 - 5:22 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Yea I'm pretty excited too, after about 1 year and a half of trying to get a Myrmecocystus colony with workers, hopefully I'll have some luck😁

#9 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 15 2022 - 6:18 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Best of luck. I myself is expecting a Myrmecocystus queen in the mail. I am following all the Honey pot ant journals to see if I can get any exiperience with honey pot ants. By the way I have a permit for the honey pot ant queen I'm getting so no one worries. Does anyone know how long honey pot nanitics take to grow from egg to worker? They are a very interesting genus.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#10 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 15 2022 - 6:53 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Read coc journal he has day to day updates from egg to worker https://www.formicul...】/?fromsearch=1

#11 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 16 2022 - 5:44 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
Ty

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#12 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 22 2022 - 6:24 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Decided to brood boost her with some myrmecocystus mexicanus brood, thought it would be cool too see a placodops queen with some golden workers, shee seems to have accepted them. Her own brood pile is looking pretty good, she has a few larvae, perhaps I could finnaly raise a Myrmecocystus to workers...20220822_163026.jpg 20220822_163044.jpg sorry for bad pics, she's in a plastic tube

#13 Offline aznphenom - Posted August 23 2022 - 4:45 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Decided to brood boost her with some myrmecocystus mexicanus brood, thought it would be cool too see a placodops queen with some golden workers, shee seems to have accepted them. 

Is that a known thing? 

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#14 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 23 2022 - 12:48 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Decided to brood boost her with some myrmecocystus mexicanus brood, thought it would be cool too see a placodops queen with some golden workers, shee seems to have accepted them. 

Is that a known thing? 

I think a lot of species usually accept brood from a related species

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#15 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 25 2022 - 11:25 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

So jealous. My Myrmecocystus Mendax queen just died. 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#16 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 25 2022 - 3:26 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Normally I would advise against boosting with brood that is not in the same species group or in this cause a sub genus. As Myrmecocystus mexicanus stands in the main genus while placodops is in the sub genus endiodioctes and is in the melliger species group. That’s the same concept of why you have a better chance of brood boosting Camponotus semitestaceus with sansabeanus brood rather then with clarithorax brood.

• UtahAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#17 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 25 2022 - 7:47 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Normally I would advise against boosting with brood that is not in the same species group or in this cause a sub genus. As Myrmecocystus mexicanus stands in the main genus while placodops is in the sub genus endiodioctes and is in the melliger species group. That’s the same concept of why you have a better chance of brood boosting Camponotus semitestaceus with sansabeanus brood rather then with clarithorax brood.

oh do you think that the queen will attack the workers once they hatch/the workers atting the queen?

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 25 2022 - 9:33 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

oh do you think that the queen will attack the workers once they hatch/the workers atting the queen?

More likely the queen will simply kill them, but there might be a slim chance they are excepted.

Currently Keeping:

#19 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 26 2022 - 7:16 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
I’ve added camponotus nearcticus pupae to a camponotus vicinus founding queen. Also camponotus flordanius pupae to another camponotus vicinus founding queen. So if I’m wrong here tell me, but I see that founding queens are extremely docile and tolerant. I even had a Prenolepis Imparis founding queen accept 50 Imparis workers from a established nest. So honestly anything is possible with founding queens.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#20 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 26 2022 - 7:19 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
And I think the second picture shows that the queen could care less about the cocoons. There is a possibility that she will care for them but won’t open the cocoons. I think That_one_ant_guy you may have to pull a Nordic ants. Watch those cocoons very closely.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users