• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Flu1d's journal of Solenopsis Invicta - The Blood Flood

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 6:16 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
F

Edited by Flu1d, January 7 2023 - 6:25 PM.

• Katla likes this

#2 Offline Katla - Posted December 13 2022 - 8:26 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

I feel like those fire ants are quite remarquable, if they weren't such a biological threat i would keep them for sure. So i look forward to your journal and surely they will live up to their reputation, thrive and get very numerous !  
I have no special knowledge of invicta, but having read and watched alot about their genus you shouldn't have much problem even with only one queen going. Are you into behavioral observation for your ants ? 

image.png

#3 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 9:25 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

I feel like those fire ants are quite remarquable, if they weren't such a biological threat i would keep them for sure. So i look forward to your journal and surely they will live up to their reputation, thrive and get very numerous !
I have no special knowledge of invicta, but having read and watched alot about their genus you shouldn't have much problem even with only one queen going. Are you into behavioral observation for your ants ?

I actually had NEVER intended on keeping these.. I told myself "I will keep any ant, but NOT fire ants!" However, being brand new to the hobby and it being off season.. The opportunity afforded itself and I couldn't say no. They fly year round and so I had a good chance of finding them.

These are my first ever colonies, I have never kept ants before.. That being said I am definitely interested in observing everything I can about these ants, including behavior. My issue then is the fact that I have no idea what to look for, what to observe, how to initiate stuff etc. I don't even know what to write if I did know those things lol

I am glad to take notes if you have tips.. That goes for anyone willing to offer advice.

#4 Offline Katla - Posted December 13 2022 - 9:46 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

get ready for good protein supply and a nice PFE talcum barrier ! There is a video somewhere on YouTube showing how they are maintained in lab for research.

image.png

#5 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 9:49 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
I have some fluon from TarHeelAnts and I plan on buying talcum powder and alcohol soon as well since its too humid in Florida for fluon to be effective 😭

I thought I heard someone mention fluon and talcum powder mixed together, is that a thing? Would it not be as good as talcohol because of humidity?

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 9:52 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

get ready for good protein supply and a nice PFE talcum barrier ! There is a video somewhere on YouTube showing how they are maintained in lab for research.

Also, I will have some D. Melanogaster fruit flies here soon so they will have some solid protein on top of the sugar water, honey and honey water I can make for them (I have honey, sugar and bottled water all available)

I will also be collecting termites from the various damp branches on the ground in my yard to feed them and will eventually breed discoid roaches.

#7 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 13 2022 - 11:20 PM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Finally, a journal.

#8 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 14 2022 - 4:22 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
I thought the title said "the brood flood"

#9 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 14 2022 - 8:17 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Haha, if you have ever seen a fire ant nest in person, even if you barely touch it with a stick it sinks in and a red/black flood of fire ants pour out in the most terrifying way.. Its insane to see!

I think you're a Southeasterner like myself, you have probably seen them countless times

Edited by Flu1d, December 14 2022 - 8:21 AM.

#10 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 14 2022 - 8:21 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Haha, if you have ever seen a fire ant nest in person, even if you barely touch it with a stick it sinks in and a red/black flood of fire ants pour out in the most terrifying way.. Its insane to see!
There are fire ants all over where i live. I know what you mean. When i walk home from my school, piles are everywhere in some places!

Edited by LowQualityAnts, December 14 2022 - 8:23 AM.

#11 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 14 2022 - 8:24 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

There are fire ants all over where i live. I know what you mean. When i walk home from my school, piles are everywhere in some places!

Yeah I had to edit my post because I feel like I remember you saying you live in the Southeast and there isn't a state down here that isn't infested lol

#12 Offline Katla - Posted December 14 2022 - 1:27 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Well am i going to do a journal for my Solenopsis then ?

image.png

#13 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 14 2022 - 4:43 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Well am i going to do a journal for my Solenopsis then ?

Yes
  • Katla likes this

#14 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 14 2022 - 5:16 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
I will check the test tubes after work tomorrow to see what happened in the time I haven't touched them as well as take pictures. I will probably leave them alone, depending on what I find tomorrow, for the next 3-5 days after that.
  • Katla likes this

#15 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 15 2022 - 3:02 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
Pretty happy about my update today, glad to see some brood in ALL of the colonies.. Especially after seeing the triple queen colony lose a queen and become a double over one night!

I will be checking up on them again on the 18th to remove the honey that I added to their tubes. If any significant changes happen to any of the colonies in that time I will update as well as take pictures. That is the last food I will give them before they receive nanitics.

Edited by Flu1d, December 15 2022 - 5:00 PM.

#16 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 18 2022 - 6:53 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
Good day, everyone! I hope you are all doing well. So, updates for today: I removed the tin foil plates I made for each colony, seems they ate all that honey up like they never ate before! That does my heart good to see these skinny girls eat! Other than that, no update. All of the queens are still alive and they all still have brood. Its been SUPER cold, was 33°F when I woke up (right above freezing!) In Florida 😭

Question for all of you awesome journalists and journal readers: Is it typically considered better to continually just update the main post, or will that be too crazy long and should each update be its own post?

#17 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 18 2022 - 7:27 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Each update...should be it's own post.

Edited by Ant-nig321, December 18 2022 - 7:30 AM.

#18 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted December 18 2022 - 12:16 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

Good day, everyone! I hope you are all doing well. So, updates for today: I removed the tin foil plates I made for each colony, seems they ate all that honey up like they never ate before! That does my heart good to see these skinny girls eat! Other than that, no update. All of the queens are still alive and they all still have brood. Its been SUPER cold, was 33°F when I woke up (right above freezing!) In Florida 😭

Question for all of you awesome journalists and journal readers: Is it typically considered better to continually just update the main post, or will that be too crazy long and should each update be its own post?

Yeah it has been getting colder. Jacksonville nuptial flights have stopped but I remember catching a queen on Christmas when I lived in Orlando.

#19 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 18 2022 - 12:40 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Yeah it has been getting colder. Jacksonville nuptial flights have stopped but I remember catching a queen on Christmas when I lived in Orlando.
Super cool! There is a pretty cool antkeeper in Jacksonville actually

Edited by Flu1d, December 18 2022 - 12:46 PM.

#20 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted December 18 2022 - 3:53 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

Super cool! There is a pretty cool antkeeper in Jacksonville actually

WHO!!??!!?? Tell me.

Edited by asim, December 18 2022 - 3:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users