• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's 2021 & 2022 Eastern Sierra Anting Trips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 11 2022 - 3:04 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Well, I've wanted to compile a list of species from here for some time, and add images, so I'm going to create this topic now, so that I have some motivation to actually take the pictures.

All anting here is within the Owen's River Valley, specifically near McGee creek and Lake Crowley.

Here is a list of species found in the area:
Aphaenogaster occidentalis
Aphaenogaster uinta
Brachymyrmex depilis
Camponotus hyatti
Camponotus laevissimus
Camponotus modoc
Camponotus vicinus
Dorymyrmex bicolor
Dorymyrmex insanus
Formica perpilosa
Formica cf. aerata
Formica cf subaenescens
Formica cf. integroides
Formica cf. aserva
Formica lasiodes
Formica cf. neogagates
Lasius americanus
Lasius aphidicola
Lasius brevicornis
Lasius cf. pallitarsis
Lasius nr claviger (undescribed species)
Manica invidia
Myrmecocystus testaceus
Myrmecocystus cf. semirufus
Myrmica tahoensis
Myrmica sp.
Pogonomyrmex californicus
Pogonomyrmex salinus
Solenopsis validiuscula
Solenopsis sp. 1
Solenopsis sp. 2
[i]Stenamma sp.

[i]Temnothorax arboreus[i]
[i]Temnothorax chandleri

[i]Temnothorax nevadensis

[i]Tapinoma sessile

Ill add pictures under most species when I take them/find existing ones. I will also add to the list if I find any more species while I am here, which I will be for the next 2 days.

Edited by NickAnter, August 13 2022 - 6:56 AM.

• UtahAnts and FinWins like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 13 2022 - 6:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
3 new species added, and one ID changed - nitens to chandleri.
The three new species are a Myrmica sp, Myrmica tahoensis, and Temnothorax arboreus.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted August 13 2022 - 10:43 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I have caught Myrmica tahoensis up in the sierras they like to live in rotten wood usually nesting right next to a Camponotus colony. Good luck on your journey.
Also, are there no Leptothorax there? I have found a few colonies up in Tahoe so maybe they live there.

Edited by NancyZamora4991, August 13 2022 - 10:45 AM.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 13 2022 - 12:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I found one Leptothorax queen here in 2019.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users