• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Broncos’ Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Broncos - Posted August 4 2022 - 8:18 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
On august 2nd I went to Phelan to go anting because it had gotten hit by rain pretty hard the previous day. Right as I got out of the car, I already saw a queen digging her founding chamber. I hiked the area and my total was 15 Pogonomyrmex. Rugosus queens. So currently they all have 2-4 brood boosted Pogonomyrmex. Californicus pupae or workers. Everything went alright between the two species. All are housed in test tubes with some dirt at the bottom.
  • Karma likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted September 30 2022 - 7:05 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Lost 4 queens so far. The others are doing great. All other 11 rugosus queens have either large larva or very fresh pupae. I did spread some of the queens out into different types of formicariums. I've got 1 queen in a small starter formicarium, 2 in dirt box formicariums, and 1 in a small amac box filled with some desert sand. I've noticed that the ones in the dirt formicariums are doing much better than the ones in test tubes. These queens love crushed walnuts despite being fully claustral. 

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted September 30 2022 - 7:43 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Lost 4 queens so far. The others are doing great. All other 11 rugosus queens have either large larva or very fresh pupae. I did spread some of the queens out into different types of formicariums. I've got 1 queen in a small starter formicarium, 2 in dirt box formicariums, and 1 in a small amac box filled with some desert sand. I've noticed that the ones in the dirt formicariums are doing much better than the ones in test tubes. These queens love crushed walnuts despite being fully claustral. 

I've had similar results with my rugosus. I caught more then I was planning for, so I didn't have enough test tubes. I threw some into some small containers with sand and clay, and just hydrated them every few days. While the test tube queens died, almost all the dirt container queens founded successfully.

I'll need to try walnuts, is there a certain type or brand that works best?

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline Broncos - Posted October 1 2022 - 9:07 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

I've had similar results with my rugosus. I caught more then I was planning for, so I didn't have enough test tubes. I threw some into some small containers with sand and clay, and just hydrated them every few days. While the test tube queens died, almost all the dirt container queens founded successfully.

I'll need to try walnuts, is there a certain type or brand that works best?

I just got some organic walnuts from target. ill house a couple more in dirt setups if i can. I feel like all Pogonomyrmex do better in dirt.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users