• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Young physogastric queen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted July 31 2022 - 8:56 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Is it normal for a young queen to become physogastric? This queen is about 1 year old, and has the biggest abdomen of all of my Lasius Niger. Even my queen with about 1,000 workers isn't physogastric like this. I'm curious what causes this?

Attached Images

• VideoCapture_20220731-185324.jpg

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted July 31 2022 - 9:09 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Sometimes when a colony is young the workers will use the queen like a replete and stuff her with food if they find an excess of food.
I have seen people post about having Lasius queens like this early on. I don't know what happened later.
There is a slim chance it's a parasite. But don't freak out about this too much. 

If she lays a massive batch of eggs you'll know! Nice queen! Interesting that she has her wings still. 

My lasius queen is an egg machine. I catch her in the middle of laying almost every day. But she's always had a small gaster... makes me wonder if it always matters much. My camponotus queen, however got like this early this spring and that colony has been booming I feel like I need to get them a bigger nest every week... And they are eating me out of house and home. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2022 - 9:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
This is completely normal for Lasius. I’ve had founding queens with bigger gasters than that.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users