• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odontomachus legal?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 1:06 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
So I was checking out the USDA APHIS website I came across a loophole in the law. According to USDA APHIS you need to have a PPQ 526 permit to move plant pests across state lines legally. However ants in the genera Odontomachus and Stigmatomma aren’t plant pests because of of their purely carnivorous diet there for is it actually legal to transport Odontomachus and Stigmatomma across state lines?
Just some food for thought.

Edited by FinWins, July 21 2022 - 1:07 PM.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#2 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 21 2022 - 3:04 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
1) They do need nectar

2) All arthropods(other than some other insects like butterflies) are considered plant pest. P. Occidentali s has been regulated except to Florida
  • aznphenom likes this

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 21 2022 - 3:35 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

https://www.ecfr.gov...section-330.200

"Plant pests regulated by this subpart. APHIS will consider an organism to be a plant pest if the organism directly or indirectly injures, causes damage to, or causes disease in a plant or plant product, or if the organism is an unknown risk to plants or plant products, but is similar to an organism known to directly or indirectly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in a plant or plant product."

There's the caveat: "unknown risk to plants or plant products, but is similar to an organism known to directly injure, cause damage to, or cause disease in a plant or plant product."

By saying this, there is effectively a blanket ban on all ants, as generally speaking the impact of any given species will be "unknown", however because they are an ant, they are therefore related/similar to other known plant pests (I.E. Atta, Solenopsis invicta), and banned. The reason why Pogonomyrmex occidentalis was able to become deregulated is because they are a species with decades of research behind them, one of the most well-studied ants in the US, and those studies has proven that they actually have a positive impact on plant communities where they are present. Therefore their impact on plants is no longer unknown, and they're actually proven to be beneficial to plants, and as such, deregulated.

In order to deregulate more ant species, similar amounts of work and study would need to be done to prove that they are not plant pests, which unfortunately for the vast majority of ants is simply not going to happen.

• gcsnelling, Manitobant, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 3:36 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
I didn’t know that they needed nectar, but do they milk scale bugs and aphids?

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#5 Online bmb1bee - Posted July 21 2022 - 3:38 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

1) They do need nectar

2) All arthropods(other than some other insects like butterflies) are considered plant pest. P. Occidentali s has been regulated except to Florida

Odontomachus maybe, but not Stigmatomma. They're cryptic and live completely subterranean lives right? They shouldn't be able to harm plants in any kind of way, as they only eat soil centipedes. 

• ColAnt735 and FinWins like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#6 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 21 2022 - 6:15 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I didn’t know that they needed nectar, but do they milk scale bugs and aphids?

They use EFN’s

#7 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 21 2022 - 6:19 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

1) They do need nectar

Odontomachus maybe, but not Stigmatomma. They're cryptic and live completely subterranean lives right? They shouldn't be able to harm plants in any kind of way, as they only eat soil centipedes.

“Our understanding of the biology of the species assigned to Stigmatomma is far from comprehensive as it is based on generalizations from limited observations of a few species. One of the major culprits for our lack of observations is the cryptobiotic lifestyle of these ants, which hampers access to their colonies and studies on their behavior” -AntWiki

Therefore, we don't fully understand their impacts or behavior. I guess we would dereg them if we knew much more about them

#8 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 22 2022 - 8:40 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

You know... I never thought about Stigmatomma for the last 6 months. And I really now think I should go back to my Stigmatomma pallipes spot to collect queens and study them. 

#9 Offline bullyfan - Posted July 22 2022 - 1:08 PM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

1) They do need nectar

Would tarantulas be considered plant pests? The tarantula trade has been going on for a very long time already with mostly exotic tarantulas and usada really hasn't done much to stop them. 

Edited by bullyfan, July 22 2022 - 1:09 PM.

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted July 22 2022 - 2:26 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

1) They do need nectar

Would tarantulas be considered plant pests? The tarantula trade has been going on for a very long time already with mostly exotic tarantulas and usada really hasn't done much to stop them.
No, unless they were imported illegally tarantulas are exempt from APHIS

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 22 2022 - 2:47 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

1) They do need nectar

Tarantulas have never been thought as plant pests and they do not have any known negative effects on agriculture surrounding plants and vegetation.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#12 Offline bullyfan - Posted July 22 2022 - 3:33 PM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

1) They do need nectar

Tarantulas have never been thought as plant pests and they do not have any known negative effects on agriculture surrounding plants and vegetation.

According to FloridaAnts, all arthropods are considered plant pests and Tarantulas are very much arthropods. More in the middle are exotic mantids and assassin bugs which are in the hobby trading freely under usada's nose.  Is there a list of what is a plant pest or what isn't? I don't see any rule that states that ants are not ok, but tarantulas, mantids, and assassins are. 

It would seem that tarantulas are  biological control organisms and thus not legal. 

Biological control organisms regulated by this subpart. For the purposes of this subpart, biological control organisms include:

(1) Invertebrate predators and parasites (parasitoids) used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(2) Invertebrate competitors used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(3) Invertebrate herbivores used to control noxious weeds;

(4) Microbial pathogens used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(5) Microbial pathogens used to control noxious weeds;

(6) Microbial parasites used to control plant pathogens; and

(7) Any other types of biological control organisms, as determined by APHIS.

Edited by bullyfan, July 22 2022 - 3:41 PM.

#13 Offline bullyfan - Posted July 22 2022 - 3:35 PM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

1) They do need nectar

Honest question, where does it say tarantulas are exempt, thanks

It would seem that tarantulas are  biological control organisms and thus not legal. 

Biological control organisms regulated by this subpart. For the purposes of this subpart, biological control organisms include:

(1) Invertebrate predators and parasites (parasitoids) used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(2) Invertebrate competitors used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(3) Invertebrate herbivores used to control noxious weeds;

(4) Microbial pathogens used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(5) Microbial pathogens used to control noxious weeds;

(6) Microbial parasites used to control plant pathogens; and

(7) Any other types of biological control organisms, as determined by APHIS.

Edited by bullyfan, July 22 2022 - 3:41 PM.

#14 Offline FinWins - Posted July 22 2022 - 4:11 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
You know the YouTube channel The Insect Hunter? Well he did a review on the PPQ 526 permit and said that tarantulas are not part of APHIS coverage.

#15 Offline bullyfan - Posted July 22 2022 - 4:12 PM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

You know the YouTube channel The Insect Hunter? Well he did a review on the PPQ 526 permit and said that tarantulas are not part of APHIS coverage.

Thanks!

Haven't heard about the channel but i'll give it a look. 

#16 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 22 2022 - 5:19 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

1) They do need nectar

Honest question, where does it say tarantulas are exempt, thanks

Biological control organisms regulated by this subpart. For the purposes of this subpart, biological control organisms include:

(1) Invertebrate predators and parasites (parasitoids) used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(2) Invertebrate competitors used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(3) Invertebrate herbivores used to control noxious weeds;

(4) Microbial pathogens used to control invertebrate plant pests;

(5) Microbial pathogens used to control noxious weeds;

(6) Microbial parasites used to control plant pathogens; and

(7) Any other types of biological control organisms, as determined by APHIS.

Tarantulas are covered in 2 it seems… they do control some insects, and I happen to know a few insects that control them…

Anyone could be wrong though, as Many YouTubers say queen ants can live for 30 years. False! Not one,(unless I am mistaken) has gotten a 30 year old queen. I believe their is one report of a Laius Niger queen living 29 years
  • FinWins likes this

#17 Offline FinWins - Posted July 22 2022 - 5:34 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
Soooo many people sell tarantulas that if selling tarantulas/Arthropods is illegal then APHIS doesn’t care

Edited by FinWins, July 22 2022 - 5:36 PM.

#18 Offline Superant33 - Posted July 27 2022 - 4:45 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I have been keeping Odontomachus for years, and they don’t need nectar. My young colonies completely ignore it. However, my older colonies accept it. Trap jaws look cute when drinking from a sugar source.
  • CheetoLord02 and FloridaAnts like this

#19 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 27 2022 - 7:25 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I have been keeping Odontomachus for years, and they don’t need nectar. My young colonies completely ignore it. However, my older colonies accept it. Trap jaws look cute when drinking from a sugar source.

100% cute. You should see wild colonies when I spare them some… I feel we are getting off topic though…

#20 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 27 2022 - 10:17 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Anyone could be wrong though, as Many YouTubers say queen ants can live for 30 years. False! Not one,(unless I am mistaken) has gotten a 30 year old queen. I believe their is one report of a Laius Niger queen living 29 years

The queen was one kept in laboratory conditions. This means that it would be unlikely for it to happen to any of our ants, but it sure did happen. And most ant species have gynes that live up to 5-10 years in tropical places and even longer in temperate regions. 

• FloridaAnts likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users