• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where Are Some Amazing Ant Species

ants moving out countries

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreGood - Posted July 13 2022 - 11:34 AM

AntsAreGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So i have planed that when i graduate the faculty of biology from my country, i decided to move out of my country or even the continent, currently i am in highschool, 

because of this this will not happen to soon but there are only 4 years left until faculty so its not that far about 8 years.

And i need help finding a country with variety of ant species and other animals.

with exotic cool looking ants and fauna

so if you could help choose a country

i will read the comments and I'm gonna choose 3 candidates

of possible moving locations

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted July 13 2022 - 12:35 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
I would recmend
The United States
Or australia
As both have grate ant sp

Edited by United-Ants, July 13 2022 - 12:37 PM.

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 1:14 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
It is a bit of a stretch to move to a country just because of ants. I would choose a country where you can speak your native language first, and also has other things than ants you enjoy. That being said, australia has many of the most unique ants on earth, if you really want to choose that path

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 13 2022 - 2:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I vote for Australia.
  • sL0wNsteady likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted July 13 2022 - 2:33 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Yep, I vote Australia too.

I am from Australia, so if you end up coming here, some places I can recommend:

Cairns and surrounding areas. My favourite place on earth pretty much. :) It's a tropical area with rainforests containing more species than most countries!

The other one is arid and desert areas, like Alice Springs. That's where you'll find our cooler but rarer Australian honeypot ants, Camponotus inflatus (illegal to collect) and Melophorus bagoti.

The other semi-arid area I can recommend is around Mildura. You get some of the cool arid species but it's not 45C every day and there's also some non-arid ones.

They're the main ones, but pretty much the whole continent (except you Tasmania lol) has something to offer.

​Southeast Asia is kinda cool too.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, July 13 2022 - 2:34 PM.

• Ants_Dakota and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 4:35 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Cairns and surrounding areas. My favourite place on earth pretty much. :) It's a tropical area with rainforests containing more species than most countries!

The other one is arid and desert areas, like Alice Springs. That's where you'll find our cooler but rarer Australian honeypot ants, Camponotus inflatus (illegal to collect) and Melophorus bagoti.
The other semi-arid area I can recommend is around Mildura. You get some of the cool arid species but it's not 45C every day and there's also some non-arid ones.

They're the main ones, but pretty much the whole continent (except you Tasmania lol) has something to offer.

Why is that camponotus illegal to collect?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 13 2022 - 4:50 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Australia is overrated and everything is too far away. Sure, there are cool ants, but you will still run into cases where you'd need to travel monumentally far just to find a specific species, not to mention that at least in my opinion, a lot of their diversity is a bit lackluster. No fungus growing ants, barely any army ants, etc. Sure, there's some cool stuff, but again, everything is just so spread out that you'll end up running into more trouble than it's worth.

Here in AZ we have ~400 species, and if you live in the middle of the state, not a single one is more than a ~5 hour drive away, or if you live in the southeast of the state, you lose a select few northern species, but make most species of interest within ~3 hours of you, if not essentially in your own backyard. It's definitely the best place in the US for ants, especially due to how relatively compact and densely populated the state is. Fun fact: The Santa Catalina Mts. in Tucson, Arizona have been found to contain over 115 ant species, or ~16% of all ant diversity in the entire united states. And the Catalinas aren't even the most diverse range in the state, that title likely goes to the Chiricahuas, Huachucas, Santa Ritas, or Pajaritos.

There are many places with great ants, but very few will have such a density like Arizona does. The best you'll get is likely somewhere in the neotropics, like Costa Rica or Panama. Those small countries both have >900 species in a relatively confined area, not to mention a high proportion of natural land, and not being terrible countries to live in (so I've heard).

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#8 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted July 13 2022 - 6:11 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Why is that camponotus illegal to collect?

They're a honeypot ant species that's very important to the traditional land owners, so it's mainly a respect thing.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 13 2022 - 6:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Costa Rica seems to me to be the best. Not a sh*thole country at all, everything quite close, and beautiful. The USA doesn't have great ants unless you are in Texas or Arizona, and maybe Florida.

• CheetoLord02, Ants_Dakota and lazyant like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#10 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 13 2022 - 6:21 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

If you want to go to a place with the hightest number of species I have five recommendations: Queensland Australia, Costa Rica, New Guinea island (you probably can't go there since it's so remote), Borneo and Madagascar.

Where you want to go depends on what ant species you want to see.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#11 Offline AntsAreGood - Posted July 14 2022 - 12:22 AM

AntsAreGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

i have choosen 4 candidate countries, thoose

Australia

United States

Costa Rica

Philippines

these are the countries i choose for possible moving locations

• Leptomyrmx likes this

#12 Offline AntsAreGood - Posted July 14 2022 - 12:25 AM

AntsAreGood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I have choosen 4 candidate countries, thoose being:

Australia ( Queensland )

United States ( note: i have not choosen a state yet )

Costa Rica

Philippines

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 14 2022 - 7:06 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Assuming you’re in Romania by your pfp, you can legally import ant species from across the world.
  • Leptomyrmx and lazyant like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, moving out, countries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users