• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions from a beginner

lasius; keeping

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntGirl - Posted July 11 2022 - 1:57 PM

AntGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I'm keeping a lasius americanus/crypticus (possibly a different species) and I wanted to know when I should move them into a new nest, or at least connect a test tube portal to their test tube. They currently have 8 workers. Also, what temperature should they be kept at?

Thank you

• NancyZamora4991 likes this

#2 Offline lazyant - Posted July 11 2022 - 2:26 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Try to keep them in their test tube as long as possible, so they don't use the nest provided as a garbage site.

In my experience, Lasius like it a bit above room temperature. 

• ColAnt735 and AntGirl like this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#3 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 11 2022 - 3:17 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Lasius don't like to move. if you try to make them move they won't. Like lazy ant said a little above room temperture is good. Provide foraging areas once they hit 30~ workers.

• lazyant and AntGirl like this

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted July 11 2022 - 10:40 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Like others said, Lasius sp. are quite small and can stay in test tubes until the colony is quite large. Good luck!

• AntGirl likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted July 12 2022 - 11:39 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I'm keeping a lasius americanus/crypticus (possibly a different species) and I wanted to know when I should move them into a new nest, or at least connect a test tube portal to their test tube. They currently have 8 workers. Also, what temperature should they be kept at?

Thank you

I would connect a test tube portal if you have it, It makes the test tube much cleaner and you can wash out the portal when it gets dirty. Like people said, Lasius will not move on their own they are super super stubborn. I only move my Lasius when the water runs out. Also Lasius are not a fan of heat, I have tried many times to heat them, even if I put the heating cable near them they will move as far away from it as they can. (P.S. It is Crypticus)

• AntGirl likes this

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 12 2022 - 4:23 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
8 workers is too few for an outworld in my opinion. Lasius nanitics are super shy anyway, and would probably hardly venture into an outworld or portal. Yes the test tube will get dirty with you feeding the food directly into it, but putting the food on tinfoil and removing that after the ants are done works too.
  • AntGirl likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users