• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I move them into a new test tube or their formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Moonlight_wolf - Posted July 12 2022 - 5:40 PM

Moonlight_wolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York

Hey, I'm just starting a colony of Camponotus Nearcticus and Lasius Neoniger. My Camponotus I've already moved into their mini hearth and they're doing really well, but my Lasuis colony is still very small (just two workers) and I was wanting to wait until they had more to move them into their mini hearth, but they are about to run out of water in their test tube and I'm going to have to move them one way or another. I could just move them into their Mini Hearth, since it's around the same size as the ginormous test tube that I got them in. But I'm not sure what the cons of moving them to a mini hearth too soon are. I'm not worried about them storing their trash in the nest because if need be I can remove the magnetic glass and clean out whatever. 

I've just heard that Lasius are extremely stubborn when it comes to moving, so I'd like to move them as infrequently as possible. And I'm not really a fan of the test tube set up due to the fact that you have to move them when you run out of water. 

Basically I would prefer to move them directly into the mini hearth, since I have to move them soon anyways, but I don't want to do anything that'll hurt them.

#2 Offline jayhautz - Posted July 12 2022 - 5:48 PM

jayhautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hey, I'm just starting a colony of Camponotus Nearcticus and Lasius Neoniger. My Camponotus I've already moved into their mini hearth and they're doing really well, but my Lasuis colony is still very small (just two workers) and I was wanting to wait until they had more to move them into their mini hearth, but they are about to run out of water in their test tube and I'm going to have to move them one way or another. I could just move them into their Mini Hearth, since it's around the same size as the ginormous test tube that I got them in. But I'm not sure what the cons of moving them to a mini hearth too soon are. I'm not worried about them storing their trash in the nest because if need be I can remove the magnetic glass and clean out whatever.

I've just heard that Lasius are extremely stubborn when it comes to moving, so I'd like to move them as infrequently as possible. And I'm not really a fan of the test tube set up due to the fact that you have to move them when you run out of water.

Basically I would prefer to move them directly into the mini hearth, since I have to move them soon anyways, but I don't want to do anything that'll hurt them.

moving a colony too soon could put a lot of stress on them. If you can, try to just re-wet their cotton in the tube and wait to move them till they get a few more workers. If you still want to move them however give them the option, don’t force them. Connect their tube to your desired nest and just shine some light on them. If they want to move they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 13 2022 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I would move them into a new tube first. Do so by taping on a new tube and placing them in direct sunlight with the new tube totally darkened. CAREFULLY monitor the process, so they don’t get baked. If it is taking too long, move them back inside and just shake them into the new tube.
  • Ants_Dakota and lazyant like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users