• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Recommendations Please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline darren6270 - Posted July 8 2022 - 2:07 AM

darren6270

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Hope you guys are well.

I'm new to the hobby, have my first colony moved into it's nest, a week in and now looking at a second colony.

I've been non stop watching Youtube videos to try and get as much info as possible as to what colony to go for next and I guess this will at some stage influence the next set up I buy. 

I really like the look of the modular nests particularly Wakooshi and HighTec Ants (i'm in the UK).

Does anyone have any recommendations between the two? i've found reviews on both but as it's a complete system choice I want to make the correct decision.

Appreciate if i can get some weaver ants for example they need a completely different set up.

Thanks Guys

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 8 2022 - 2:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you want top of the line, buy Tarheel Ants. My tip, though, is to focus on the ants first and formicariums second. Grow big, healthy colonies before you worry about fancy setups. A test tube in an escape proofed container will work great in most cases.
  • sL0wNsteady and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline darren6270 - Posted July 8 2022 - 6:08 AM

darren6270

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Many thanks for that great advice. I just worry about feeding and adding more water if necessary to the test tube.

I'll take a look at Tarheel and see what shipping to the UK looks like.

Take Care

• ANTdrew and FloridaAnts like this

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted July 11 2022 - 4:58 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Many thanks for that great advice. I just worry about feeding and adding more water if necessary to the test tube.

I'll take a look at Tarheel and see what shipping to the UK looks like.

Take Care

If i was in UK, I would be getting other brands. I have THA nests and I like that but I have always wanted the more innovative stuff from UK and antstore but shipping was expensive back then. Worst now. 

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted July 11 2022 - 5:06 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

The nest depends on the ant species and colony size. 

Tar Heel is good quality but not my favorite because the outworlds are too small and the visibility is poor in the "hearth" style nests. Some of the other styles aren't bad for larger colonies. 

But for your first year you can almost get away with test tubes all the way in many cases... and test tubes are fool proof for hydration of young colonies. Older colonies will need different hydration depending on species. Some need none at all, some a fair bit... but I think a lot of new keepers kill their young colonies because of over or under hydration for the nest type. 

That said the tar heel mini hearth is 2nd to test tubes for a small-ish colony and for easy hydration. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline aznphenom - Posted July 11 2022 - 5:41 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Tar Heel is good quality but not my favorite because the outworlds are too small and the visibility is poor in the "hearth" style nests. Some of the other styles aren't bad for larger colonies. 

100% agree and why I stopped buying them. I have small hands and It was annoying me. don't know how anyone else is doing it. Same with visibility. you 100% have to shine a light to get a view. 

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 7:47 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hi,
Hope you guys are well.
I'm new to the hobby, have my first colony moved into it's nest, a week in and now looking at a second colony.
I've been non stop watching Youtube videos to try and get as much info as possible as to what colony to go for next and I guess this will at some stage influence the next set up I buy.
I really like the look of the modular nests particularly Wakooshi and HighTec Ants (i'm in the UK).
Does anyone have any recommendations between the two? i've found reviews on both but as it's a complete system choice I want to make the correct decision.
Appreciate if i can get some weaver ants for example they need a completely different set up.
Thanks Guys

I agree with antdrew. If you first raise a colony and only get the formicarium after the ants truly need it, then you will be less likely to introduce the ants prematurely to the formicarium, which can kill the colony.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 13 2022 - 10:03 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

100% agree and why I stopped buying them. I have small hands and It was annoying me. don't know how anyone else is doing it. Same with visibility. you 100% have to shine a light to get a view.
Typically people buy a hearth for a more professional look than a test tube, and for me it is reassurance that my species are not coming disconnected from their outworld via tubing :lol: I am paranoid about that.

Edited by FloridaAnts, July 13 2022 - 10:04 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline aznphenom - Posted July 13 2022 - 10:09 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Typically people buy a hearth for a more professional look than a test tube, and for me it is reassurance that my species are not coming disconnected from their outworld via tubing  :lol: I am paranoid about that.

I feel you. that's why I print and make my own nests. I have non natives so I really need secure nests and I have waken up from my sleep from having a nightmare of my Pogonomyrmex escaping and stinging me to death

Edited by aznphenom, July 13 2022 - 10:09 AM.

• futurebird and FloridaAnts like this

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 13 2022 - 10:39 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Typically people buy a hearth for a more professional look than a test tube, and for me it is reassurance that my species are not coming disconnected from their outworld via tubing :lol: I am paranoid about that.

I feel you. that's why I print and make my own nests. I have non natives so I really need secure nests and I have waken up from my sleep from having a nightmare of my Pogonomyrmex escaping and stinging me to death
If only...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users