• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feed or not?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Scolwell06 - Posted July 5 2022 - 7:54 AM

Scolwell06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My grandson has caught several pavement ants queens and placed them in test tubes. He has seven pavement ant queen and one carpenter ant queen. Now a couple or three workers have hatched with the queen. He is asking if they need fed at this point? From what little I know I think not yet.
I was working outside and he found a queen on my shirt..have to get the identity of that one as well. TIA

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted July 5 2022 - 8:43 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
They don't need to be feed till first workers

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2022 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
At 2-3 workers is the perfect time to offer a bit of protein and nectar.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Scolwell06 - Posted July 5 2022 - 9:32 AM

Scolwell06

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks...time to feed a little something. That's going to be tricky in a tube. Would opening the tube end and placing it in a small container work?

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2022 - 9:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Placing the tube in an escape proofed container is a great way to go. Make a smaller entry to the tube using a straw or by drilling a hole in the cap of the tube.
  • lazyant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 5 2022 - 10:52 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Thanks...time to feed a little something. That's going to be tricky in a tube. Would opening the tube end and placing it in a small container work?

When they are very small (like 1-3 worker), you can put in tiny pieces of dead insect or offer a tiny aluminum tray of nectar. For some really lazy ants I have to shove the food in halfway for the nanitics to find it, but by the time you have 4+ they'll probably be starting to explore outside the tube.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users