• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID from blacksburg, SC.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline LIExotics - Posted July 3 2022 - 11:04 PM

LIExotics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY, USA
Hey everyone. So I witnessed a very large nuptial flight swarm two nights ago just off route 95 here in South Carolina. I caught 9 of the queens, left the rest where they were. Now, these ants have the most beautiful golden polish to them, with yellow bands in between the gold. And their body looks like plastic. I am including a link to the images below:
https://imgur.com/gallery/tI2XQGN
I thought at first that these were either yellow meadow ants or yellow crazy ants. Yellow crazy ants is still on the table I think, but, the meadow ants seem to be much darker in color. So I am at a loss. 2 days of searching. Still couldn't figure it out on my own. I just want to verify if these are polygynos or not, being that I have them 3 in a tube, and they've started laying eggs, as you can see in the pics. So, any positive ID would be awesome.
Oh. They are 7 -8 Mm long.

#2 Offline OiledOlives - Posted July 4 2022 - 5:14 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Leptomyrmecini, either Dorymyrmex or Forelius. 

Probably D. bureni

Edited by OiledOlives, July 4 2022 - 5:14 AM.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 4 2022 - 10:12 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks like D. bureni to me.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 4 2022 - 6:12 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Dorymyrmex bureni

#5 Offline LIExotics - Posted July 9 2022 - 9:51 AM

LIExotics

Advanced Member

• Members