• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CVRIC National Entomology Expo - "Review"?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted July 3 2022 - 4:11 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

A while ago I saw something on the Queen of Ants website saying something about an entomology expo, so I immediately went to the website to find out when and where it was. It was in the school holidays and in a place called Woodend which is about 40 minutes away from Melbourne Airport. And Melbourne Airport is a 1 hour flight away from where I live, which wouldn't be too bad if there weren't delays from the weather.

Woke up at 5 and got to the expo at 3, a total of 10 hours to get there...  :lol:

It was 100% worth it though.

When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a sign for the Queen of Ants table. If you aren't familiar with Queen of Ants, they're the largest ant supplier in Australia.

There was also The Ant Lab, which is a shop that I really like, because I found the website before they even had anything for sale. If you live in Aus, go check them out! https://theantlab.com

There was also a lot of other arthropod related stuff but I'll only go into the ants.

Queen of Ants:

There were a bunch of colonies including a few rare Myrmecia species, some of their nests and outworlds, and I met the actual queen of Queen of Ants. She asked what my dream species was, and I said Melophorus bagoti. And finally, someone knew what that was.  :lol:

The Ant Lab:

I talked to the owner's dad a bit. At first, he thought I was a regular average person, until I said that I liked the "Myrmecia". Then he understood what I was. I saw some of the 3d printed nests they were working on, they've got some really cool ideas. The outworlds look great too. He asked if there were any species I wanted the shop to sell, and I said Melophorus bagoti again.  :facepalm:why are they so cool

They were selling some colonies too, dual queen Myrmecia urens for only $220, great deal. My dad said that was too expensive. :(

Overall, it was awesome, and I'd recommend going next year if you live anywhere in Australia.

• PaigeX and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline PaigeX - Posted July 15 2022 - 6:39 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

A while ago I saw something on the Queen of Ants website saying something about an entomology expo, so I immediately went to the website to find out when and where it was. It was in the school holidays and in a place called Woodend which is about 40 minutes away from Melbourne Airport. And Melbourne Airport is a 1 hour flight away from where I live, which wouldn't be too bad if there weren't delays from the weather.

Woke up at 5 and got to the expo at 3, a total of 10 hours to get there...  :lol:

It was 100% worth it though.

When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a sign for the Queen of Ants table. If you aren't familiar with Queen of Ants, they're the largest ant supplier in Australia.

There was also The Ant Lab, which is a shop that I really like, because I found the website before they even had anything for sale. If you live in Aus, go check them out! https://theantlab.com

There was also a lot of other arthropod related stuff but I'll only go into the ants.

Queen of Ants:

There were a bunch of colonies including a few rare Myrmecia species, some of their nests and outworlds, and I met the actual queen of Queen of Ants. She asked what my dream species was, and I said Melophorus bagoti. And finally, someone knew what that was.  :lol:

The Ant Lab:

I talked to the owner's dad a bit. At first, he thought I was a regular average person, until I said that I liked the "Myrmecia". Then he understood what I was. I saw some of the 3d printed nests they were working on, they've got some really cool ideas. The outworlds look great too. He asked if there were any species I wanted the shop to sell, and I said Melophorus bagoti again.  :facepalm:why are they so cool

They were selling some colonies too, dual queen Myrmecia urens for only $220, great deal. My dad said that was too expensive. :(

Overall, it was awesome, and I'd recommend going next year if you live anywhere in Australia.

that's awesome you got to go! Woot!
I wanted to go but I'm in QLD and short on money. 
But I would love to go next year for sure!

• Leptomyrmx likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users