• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I put a ant barrier?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tanks - Posted July 5 2022 - 1:20 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLos Angles, California

So I have a small Camponotus Modoc and I introduced them to an AC test tube portal and was wondering if i should put an ant barrier becauses they can climb really well and I don't want them escaping.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2022 - 1:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Tanks - Posted July 5 2022 - 9:19 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Okay, thanks! Also does baby powder and rubbing achohal work well at stoping camponotus? If so how much should I add of each to the mixture?

#4 Offline aznphenom - Posted July 6 2022 - 4:40 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

It should. I just talc for species that fluon doesn't work on. A little talc goes a long way. A nice tub would last you forever. I have tried very watery and very thick mix. I prefer the thing mix but sometimes it runs down the side bc its so watery but the surface is more smooth. Super thick is like cake mix and dries and looks like cake mix so all lumpy and all but it stilled work. If your talc doesnt work, it might still be wet. Watery mix dries faster. Like 30min to couple of hours. Super thick could take days.

• FloridaAnts likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#5 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 6 2022 - 8:04 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Bare talc works best for me. But for small colonies, talc and rubbing alcohol works.

#6 Offline Tanks - Posted July 6 2022 - 8:15 AM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Ok, thanks for all the help  :D! Also how often should I apply it?

Edited by Tanks, July 6 2022 - 8:17 AM.

#7 Offline futurebird - Posted July 6 2022 - 8:23 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Be careful not to expose the ants to the alcohol. You should apply it and let it dry before they come in contact with it. (Someone here made this error once and killed all their ants so that's why I mention it)

How long it lasts depends on how often they try to climb on it. Eventually they will knock off enough of the powder that they can climb over it. 

Mine has lasted for about 5 or 6 weeks. I change it when I do a deep clean of the outworld (after removing all the ants.)

• FloridaAnts likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#8 Offline Tanks - Posted July 6 2022 - 12:20 PM

Tanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Ok thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users