• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant body language

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Online futurebird - Posted August 13 2022 - 7:17 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Ants have body language. This body language can vary by species and by caste, but there are some general rules that I've noticed. 

mandibles open: want to bite, I can bite!

antennae upright moving in air: what do my sisters think?
antennae folded: resting or sleeping
antennae tapping another ant's body: hi, who the heck are you?
antennae tapping another ant's head: I'm hungry feed me
In general whatever the antennae are touching has the ants attention, they are far more sensitive than the ants eyes in most species. Many ants have poor vision or only the ability to sense light and shadow.

legs stiff, standing tall: I'm very big and intimidating
legs tucked, body low: no ant here! move along... or resting

varies by species:
gaster(ant butt) raised: I could spray you with acid! OR
gaster tucked under body: I could spray you with acid!

tapping gaster on the ground in a quick jerk: This makes a noise other ants can hear, and it means "danger" or "get ready to attack" majors of camponotus often do this.

dragging gaster while walking: something good is on this trail! follow!

dragging gaster in a circle around an enemy "here's the jerk! get 'em girls!"

running in circles mandibles open: I'm sounding the alarm! Calling my sisters!

some camponotus species:
front legs up like boxing gloves, back four legs tall: I'm ready to box with another ant to determine who is allowed here.

Not all ants have boxing to determine territory, some will just grapple or even fight to the death.

Body language isn't as important as pheromones for ants, but smells are harder us us to learn as we can't really decode them easily with our noses.

What ant body language have you noticed?

• Serafine and lazyant like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2022 - 8:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crematogaster adorably wag their heart butts up and down when they taste a food they like.
  • Serafine, futurebird and lazyant like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted August 13 2022 - 9:18 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ants do have some fairly interesting body language indeed.

Camponotus can tap other Camponotus and tell them to follow, resluting in a tandem or sometimes a group of ants following a leading worker (in this kind of stop-motion walk, where they walk a short distance then wait until they get a pat on the back from the worker that's following them). I've occasionally seen that with mine (best to observe in less crowded areas of the setup).

Something that's also very common is this kind of "telling by doing" sign langauge when they attempt to feed another worker but don't present any food as a hint for "there's food if you folow my trail" and of course fake attacks on other colony members to tell them "there's trouble ahead".

I also love when they slam their bodies or gasters onto the ground to alert others, kinda like war drums.

Edited by Serafine, August 13 2022 - 9:19 AM.

• futurebird and lazyant like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline FinWins - Posted August 13 2022 - 10:34 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
My Camponotus modoc will stand as tall as they can and lunge at what ever I stick in their test tube if I disturb them to much. I think it might be their way of try to scary me off because they try to make them selves look bigger. Another thing I’ve noticed is whenever a worker gets really excited whether it’s from a possible threat or a food discovery they run back to the colony a start vibrating like when cartoon character eats a bomb. I believe this is their ways of communicating that they have found something of interest.
  • Serafine, DDD101DDD and futurebird like this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users