• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

P occidentalis vs. watermelon seed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 24 2022 - 3:46 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

https://youtu.be/jcxJeDMlJLI

• futurebird, m99 and FloridaAnts like this

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted June 24 2022 - 6:33 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I love them so much. They always try their very best. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 25 2022 - 6:20 AM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I just recently got this colony from Mack at THA, and I love it.  They are always active, can’t climb glass or plastic so I can have an open top outworld, and they are always checking out everything new I put in the outworld.  I’ve figured out they like watermelon and apples.  They love the white, immature watermelon seeds, have been chewing on an Appleseed for days now with no luck, and are just generally fun to watch.  They may leap over my Camponotus discolor as my favorite colony.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#4 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 25 2022 - 7:48 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I just recently got this colony from Mack at THA, and I love it.  They are always active, can’t climb glass or plastic so I can have an open top outworld, and they are always checking out everything new I put in the outworld.  I’ve figured out they like watermelon and apples.  They love the white, immature watermelon seeds, have been chewing on an Appleseed for days now with no luck, and are just generally fun to watch.  They may leap over my Camponotus discolor as my favorite colony.

I have heard of their sting being pretty painful. I think if you get stung Camponotus discolor may go back on top.
  • Tai_pan1 likes this

#5 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 25 2022 - 9:51 AM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I have heard of their sting being pretty painful. I think if you get stung Camponotus discolor may go back on top.

Maybe, but I think it would take a little to get bitten.  I’ve handled a couple of escapees and wasn’t bitten, ……yet.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#6 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted June 25 2022 - 4:49 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Maybe, but I think it would take a little to get bitten.  I’ve handled a couple of escapees and wasn’t bitten, ……yet.

It’s always when your really start to like your ant colony that they bite you :lol: . My Odontomachus waited until I actually paid attention to them more to sting me.
  • Tai_pan1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users