• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JoeByron - Posted June 24 2022 - 1:29 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee
20220623 145724

I was attempting to move this family from their test tube into a founding formicarium (tar heel) but for nearly 24 hours the tube has been in the light and they havent moved any closer to the end of their tube.

The ants previously were tugging at the cotton at the end of the tub, so I feel like they are ready to be fed. 

i would really like to get them into the formicarium, as I am wanting to see if them and their sister colony (just same family of ants, that happen to be at the same stage of growth, and I kept the temp and everything the same during the first bit) have growth differences. 

A few questions:

1) I used petrolium jelly to ensure a seal between the opening to the test tube and the formicarium. The step into the formicarium is very short. If at all. But could the jelly be a turn off to them so they are not crossing it?

2) Am I just being impatient and 24 hours isn't log enough for them to have to wait. 

3) Would the ants die before they looked for good?

4) Should I just say f it and put them in an out world with food and try the experiment later?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 24 2022 - 2:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Camponotus don’t really care about light. Just gently shake them into the outworld; no harm will come to them. If you really want them to move on their own, try taking them outside in the morning sunlight. Do it before it gets really hot and supervise, so you don’t bake them.
Also: use mounting putty instead of vaseline in the future.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 24 2022 - 2:25 PM.

• FloridaAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline JoeByron - Posted June 24 2022 - 2:36 PM

JoeByron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tennessee

Camponotus don’t really care about light. Just gently shake them into the outworld; no harm will come to them. If you really want them to move on their own, try taking them outside in the morning sunlight. Do it before it gets really hot and supervise, so you don’t bake them.
Also: use mounting putty instead of vaseline in the future.

Fantastic information. Thank you, Drew!

Where is a good place to get mounting putty? is it just like plumbers putty or something? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users