• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

East Tn -Queen /species confirmation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:10 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationChurch Hill, Tennessee, USA
Being the “cool Aunt” I am looking to confirm if this is a Queen and what species she might be for an over anxious 12yr old determined to catch his first queen. These pix are not great but it was spur of the moment, so please forgive me. She was caught in Church Hill, Tn, around 3:30pm after a rainy morning and a cloudy day. We were out on my homestead and she darted along the rail of my metal gate. This gate is under a tree and against the ground. We were actually looking under a block at several tiny black ants when she appeared. It was today we found her. It’s about 80 degrees. Thx for any wisdom you can share.

Attached Images

• 5980C583-AFB0-4768-BB89-257B0D173B12.jpeg
  • 02F192C1-1E2D-4F85-9157-56EC242509E0.jpeg
  • DF286C47-F342-4D7E-890E-C8490D8DCDB0.jpeg
  • 28CF422B-7D89-4151-901C-F7FD133B7AF9.jpeg

• AntsTopia likes this

#2 Offline FinWins - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:25 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
So sadly no that is not a queen, it is worker of species Camponotus castaneus they are one of the more common species of carpenter ant through out the eastern US. Most species of Camponotus fly in May so we are approaching the end of the season for carpenter ants. Your best bet if you want to find a Camponotus queen is to look under rocks and in/under logs for one or buy a queen/colony.
Good luck finding your queen
  • Valkyrie04 and AntsTopia like this

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#3 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:30 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So sadly no that is not a queen, it is worker of species Camponotus castaneus they are one of the more common species of carpenter ant through out the eastern US. Most species of Camponotus fly in May so we are approaching the end of the season for carpenter ants. Your best bet if you want to find a Camponotus queen is to look under rocks and in/under logs for one or buy a queen/colony.
Good luck finding your queen

I agree with Fin. tips for finding queens is to look after rain storms on trails, or just out in nature. Queens have bigger thorax and gaster than the workers.Screenshot_20220725-152418_Chrome~2.jpg (pic from buckeye mymecology) the mark circled in red are wing scars. Best of luck finding queens :)

#4 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:33 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

THis is actually a pretty ant....suggestions where we might get a queen of this species? Thanks for the reply. 

• AntsTopia likes this

#5 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:37 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Sadly the flights for this species have slowed down.Although you can buy them at multiple ant stores like buckeye myrmecology.

Edited by ColAnt735, July 25 2022 - 2:37 PM.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#6 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted July 25 2022 - 2:39 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Deleted

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, July 25 2022 - 2:39 PM.

• AntsTopia likes this

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted July 25 2022 - 3:08 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
https://tarheelants....orkersants-only
Tarheelants has some along with lots of other cool species and eBay might have some
https://www.statesid...notus-castaneus
Stateside ants have some as well

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#8 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted July 25 2022 - 3:21 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Don't buy on ebay your likely to get scammed

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 25 2022 - 5:15 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Also likely illegal, if the shop is from another state.

• ColAnt735, Valkyrie04 and AntsTopia like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2022 - 5:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do NOT buy ants on eBay or etsy. Find local sellers through GAN or formiculture. TennesseeAnts is a long time member here that could certainly help.
  • TennesseeAnts, Valkyrie04 and AntsTopia like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 30 2022 - 8:28 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I live in Nashville and I have a few starter colonies of this species.  Send me a personal message.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsTopia like this

#12 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 2 2022 - 5:31 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
I guess the guy got his C. Castenaus queen?.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#13 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted August 2 2022 - 9:55 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Not yet...he found a few more workers but can't seem to find the nest. We have got some things on order to get in and then we will have to buy one this year, I guess. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users